Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / HIN

Author HIN
Kurt Ayres
Avon, IL

Boat Name: Mystique

Model/Year: C-22 1974

Hull No. 3243

Hailing Port: home
06/06/2005 3:54 AM Pacific Time

Greetings! I just purchased a 1974 C-22, hull 3243, and have noted that the 12-digit HIN does not appear on/around the transom. Does anyone know if Catalina was putting the HIN in a second location on the boat at that time, or how I may otherwise find this information? The boat was previously registered in Iowa, and they seemed to be satisfied with just the hull number on the title and registration. I'm not so sure Illinois will have the same attitude. Your help and expertise are most appreciated.

Kurt Ayres
Avon, IL
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
06/06/2009 10:13 PM Pacific Time

I thought they were on all of the C22s but may be wrong of course. On some they don't show very well. They are outside on the stern in the upper starboard area. They appear to have been put in freehand with a Dremel tool and some are very shallow. If you can't see them I've heard of folks doing a rubbing like they do with grave stones. Just take a piece of paper and rub back and forth with a lead pencil over the general area and if it's there at all, it will show up.

I've heard they all also have a second "secret" location. On Happy Daze it is on a wide piece of masking tape stuck to the surface under the V-berth cushion just forward of the port bulkhead. Mine is faded out bad and barely legible.

Good luck!

Fair winds,
Jon G.
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
06/07/2009 10:10 AM Pacific Time

For imformation about HINs, see: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/07/2009 10:19 PM Pacific Time

this message was dated 2005 but maybe a users computer glitch. if you know the hull number, catalina yachts may have records on the original purchase and registration, which would include the hin number. in calif. boats without a hin number are assigned one by our department of motor vehicles based on as much information as the owner can supply. i have registered a number of pre 1970 sunfish boats for our non-profit that had no paperwork and dmv makes up a new hin based on the information you supply if one is not already on any previous ownership/registration records.
Robert Donehoo
Duluth Ga

Boat Name: Shady Deal

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1979

Hull No. 8940

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier Ga
06/11/2009 1:18 PM Pacific Time

When you purchase/sell a c22 please have the state registraion card it makes it simple to transfer ownership. The last 2 c22s I bought did not have the card and I
had to trailer the boat to the DNR so an officer could verify the HIN on the transom. They would have come to the boat but it could take a couple of weeks to schedule. Which bring me to please #2 . Don't paint over the HIN number just below the rubrail on the starboard side of the transom (all boats after a certain date). They are not deep and tend to fill with paint. If they cannot be read they are not legal and a new plate will be issued to stick there. Catalina helped me find the HIN on my first boat and made it easier to figure out the numbers. On the second c22 I asked Catalina to clerify 1 digit because it was scratched. Catalina would not return my calls or e-mails (legal reasons I guess). The officer at the Georgia DNR was very helpful and read the correct number (younger eyes) and walked me through the registration personally. Get the registration card when you purchase any boat and save yourself a lot of hassle.
Daniel Furr
Dallas, Texas

Boat Name: Mai Tai

Model/Year: c-27 1974

Hull No. 1798

Hailing Port: Lake Hubbard, Dallas, Tx
12/09/2019 1:04 AM Pacific Time

CABJ0517M79A Is my Hin Number. I bought this boat here in George Town as a 1979 Catalina 39 ????? It needs restoreing I think it is a 36 though I am not sure what I have it is a sloop with a perkins 4-108 can any one help identify my boat thanks Mike
Michael S Powell
George town

Boat Name: Sir Turtle

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. CABJ0517M79A

Hailing Port: GEORGE TOWN ,
12/09/2019 1:04 AM Pacific Time

CABJ0517M79A Is my Hin Number. I bought this boat here in George Town as a 1979 Catalina 39 ????? It needs restoreing I think it is a 36 though I am not sure what I have it is a sloop with a perkins 4-108 can any one help identify my boat thanks Mike

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / HIN