Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / knot meter

Author knot meter
Tom & Andrea Farley
Sparks, Nevada

Boat Name: "Miss O"

Model/Year: 86 C22

Hull No. I will check

Hailing Port: not sure yet
06/09/2005 9:53 PM Pacific Time

My 86 came with a digital knot meter and depth guage, the knot meter has a broken lens. Is this a "stock" item" or something the prior owner added? Any idea where a replacement, or repair could be located? Any help is greatly appreciated.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/10/2005 6:13 AM Pacific Time

Your knot meter most likely did not come with the boat from the factory.

What brand and model is it?

If it is fairly new, which I doubt, it may be compatable with a newer model display from the same manufacturer.

If not You may try e-bay.

Or as a last resort you might try Bacon's in Annapolis.

Good luck!!!
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/10/2005 3:25 PM Pacific Time

What brand is the knot meter, and what is the diameter?
Tom & Andrea Farley
Sparks, Nevada

Boat Name: "Miss O"

Model/Year: 86 C22

Hull No. I will check

Hailing Port: not sure yet
06/11/2005 8:46 PM Pacific Time

I found out today, it is a SR Mariner DKT-5, I looked on the web and found they do repair for a fair price, just have to remove and ship it to NY. Thanks for the help and interest. I guess it is a fairly expensive add on, along with the digital depth sounder, I guess I did okay at the auction on this boat.
Paul Brook
Fairfield, IA

Boat Name: Selkie

Model/Year: C22 Fin 1977

Hull No. 7817

Hailing Port: Lake Rathbun, IA
06/12/2005 5:14 AM Pacific Time

I refurbished both a knot meter and depth meter with them. They went throught both units (neither was working at the time) and replaced the sender for the depth meter and helped with emails on the installation plus sent new installation guides for the very old instruments. About $130 including shipping.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
03/06/2006 8:51 AM Pacific Time

I have an SR Marine knot meter that only works about 10% of the time. I believe the problem is with the sending unit that has a few damaged vanes. What is involved with replacing the sending unit?

Buff
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
03/07/2006 3:50 PM Pacific Time

I replaced the paddle wheel quite easily. Mine was a through hull. Check the manufacturer for a replacement part. There are little bits of metal embedded in the paddle wheel and they had corroded and fell out.

Paul
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

03/11/2006 8:24 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the response, Paul. I went to their site but they have yet to respond, which seems contrary to all the good reports in the above messages, I'll try again.

I also have the through hull sending unit. In replacing the paddle, do you tamper with the through hull seal at all, or is it just an external mechanical job? Exactly how did you remove the old paddle wheel?

Buff
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

03/11/2006 9:41 AM Pacific Time

The knot meter has a threaded cap on the inside of the boat. You unscrew the cap and pull the guts straight out (there is an alignment bump). There should be a plastic stopper that can replace the knotmeter and allow you to reinstall the cap, making the unit water tight again. If the boat is in the water, and you have the stopper, you can pull the knot meter and install the plug with only about a quart of water getting into the boat.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Hull No. 11333

03/11/2006 10:23 AM Pacific Time

Michael:

The boat is on a trailer, so incoming water is not an issue. I asumem when you say "knot meter", you are talking about the through hull sending unit. From your description, it sounds like there is a collar sealed to the hull, and the unit is locked in place, water-tight, to the collar. If that is the case, it sounds easy. Just buy the new sending unit ($54) and run the new wires that come with it.

Buff
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

03/11/2006 2:25 PM Pacific Time

You've got it. Toughest part will be releading the wire from the sending unit to the display. I suggest you use tie a string to the one you are removing so you can pull the new one through.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
08/25/2010 3:30 PM Pacific Time

My knotmeter stopped working and I read that the first thing to check is whether the little fan/w/magnet part under the boat is clean and moving - the transducer? I want to pull the transducer to clean it while my boat is in the water. There is no extra push-in seal to stop the hole while I clean the transducer. The company that made the knotmeter - SR Instruments, Inc. is apparently out of business. I see that the knotmeter is Model KM5A, specified on many Catalina 22s. Does anyone know the circumference of the push-in seal I'll need to stop the hole when I pull the transducer? Or another method to stop it?
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Hull No. 13560

08/26/2010 4:38 AM Pacific Time

I have wooden plugs, available at any marine supply outlet, at each transducer location
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
08/26/2010 9:50 AM Pacific Time

Nancy, while it's not made anymore, you can still buy parts. Try this site: http://www.srinstruments.com/mariner/default.asp
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

08/27/2010 5:43 AM Pacific Time

RC, do you happen to know the diameter of the plug for the transducer? I'll also try that site for the parts. Thanks all.
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
08/27/2010 2:48 PM Pacific Time

Nancy,
I just saw a flexible foam plug at West Marine that might work. It may make a better seal than the wood plug. You are going to get a lot of water gushing in when you pull the transducer plug. I would just wait til your next haul out.

Geoff
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

08/28/2010 4:37 AM Pacific Time

I wondered if I'd actually have the nerve to pull that out. Guess I'll test the rest of it and wait 'til it's on the trailer again for that part to clean the paddle wheel. Thanks for reminding me of the difficulty/stress factor.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Hull No. 13560

08/28/2010 4:38 AM Pacific Time

Actually, the plugs come in a package of 6 and at least 3 of them would work for my transducers. BTW when you pull it out you should get no more than a pint or so of water in your boat. I pull my paddle wheel twice a season. Just have the plug and a mallet handy.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

08/29/2010 12:16 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, R.C. If I get ahold of some plugs that look like they'll fit, I'll go for it. I live far away from West Marines. But a friend might bring me some when visiting.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / knot meter