Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing in Newfoundland

Author Sailing in Newfoundland
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/22/2005 6:13 AM Pacific Time

I was asked to describe sailing in Newfoundland. I sail in Conception Bay which opens onto the North Atlantic (47N), and have not ventured far into the waters around the island. There are pages on the web that describe adventures in Newfoundland waters.

Basically, Newfoundland is a world unto itself. It is rugged and beautiful. It is a meeting of the old and new worlds. Two world heritage sites. The people are of the best sort. And sailing here could test your skills.

There are sandy beaches and glacial fjords. There are meadows and cliffs. Probably most importantly, there are hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of small outports to explore, some of which have been abandoned are akin to ghost towns. You could spend a number of summers here and never visit the same port twice. But don't forget the whales, dolphins and icebergs. Have you ever had the chance to sail with a pod of whales or a school of dolphins? It is a sight to behold!

The best months are July and August, although September is usually very nice. The end of June is pretty good. The average high for this time of year is about 17C or 63F.

The prevailing winds are typically SW, but can range in speed from 5kt to 40kt. Yesterday, the winds were 25kt with sustained gusts of 35kt. Today, the forecast is for 15kt. In Conception Bay, the seas will be 1m with whitecaps when the wind picks up, but I can't say much more than that. At this point in my career, I tend not to venture out when the conditions are less than favourable. There is a tendency for certain parts of the island to be cloaked in fog for a good portion of the time. We might get smacked by the tail end of a hurricane (coming up from the Eastern US seaboard) once or twice in late August, or into the fall.

I can't think of much more to say, but will be glad to answer questions. I have to go and finish fairing the keel so I can get the boat back in the water.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
06/23/2005 6:19 AM Pacific Time

Tim:
Thanks for the great description of Newfoundland. Sounds like a wonderful place to sail. A few questions: What would you say the wind speed is the majority of the summer days? What percent of the time is it foggy? Is there less fog later in the season as in Maine? Is the ice an issue or can you always see it well in advance and avoid it (as long as it is not foggy)? Are there acceptable boat ramps (we have a wing keel)? What is the best way to get to the island from the South? Would it be financially feasible with a truck and trailer/boat rig? What are the roads like? Are they really bumpy and full of holes as many northern roads seem to be?
Thanks so much, Philip & Sharon Merlier "Swizzle Stick"
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/23/2005 8:12 AM Pacific Time

More questions: Are reliable weather forecasts available along the coast if a sailor only has VHF or AM/FM? Or is single side band or something like that necessary? We are not quite salty enough to be able to read the weather very well from nature's signs. We get a little nervous when we don't have access to some kind of weather authority. Also, I suppose that the unpredictable ice keeps small boats without radar at anchor on foggy days -or is the ice not that much of a problem?
Thank you for taking the time to respond to our many questions. We continue to believe that although most people look South to go sailing we believe that the best sailing is in the North. That is why we are so interested and also why we are on our way to Maine this week.
Thanks again, Philip & Sharon
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/24/2005 6:11 AM Pacific Time

Here are some answers to your questions. Keep in mind that I live on the Eastern side of the island, and conditions will vary around the island.

Wind speed:
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) is not in the "trades." Winds could best be described as variable. In the summer, I would guess the speed varies from 10-25kts. I find that, at least in Conception Bay, they are gusty, not a steady gentle breeze. Today, it is near still. Day before yesterday it was 25kt gusting to 35kt.

Fog:
The main reason for fog, in our areas, is wind blowing in off an ice pack. This tends to happen in spring (May to mid-June) when the ice pack is breaking up and drifting south. Offshore, on the Grand Banks for example (which one would probably not visit in a C22), there might be more fog. After mid-June, there is little fog. However, on the south coast of the island, I understand there is more fog.

Ice:
Ice is not a problem. I have not encountered an iceberg while sailing. The ice is usually gone by early or mid May. When the wind shifts to SW, the ice is blown offshore. However, icebergs do float down. These are either to stubborn to melt or plant themselves in a bay somewhere. Having said that, the further north you go, the likelihood of encountering one increases.

Launch ramps:
Plentiful, and depth should not be a problem in most harbours.

Getting here:
Now that's the rub. By truck and trailer, you cross on the ferry from North Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. There are two routes in the summer:

North Sydney to Port aux Basque
North Sydney to Argentia

The ferries are operated by Marine Atlantic and fares can be obtained from their website. The Port aux Basque route (5-6 hrs) takes you to the West side of NL. The Argentia route (12-13 hrs) brings you the east side of NL.

The island is isolated, but that is why it is so attractive. Rugged, and wild. As an American, I would guess the only place you would have left that would be comparable might be Alaska.

Roads:
The main highway, the TransCanada Highway, is well maintained in most areas. Once off the TCH, you takes your chances. Some roads are good, others so-so. Road maintainence does seem to be a priority, except in the cities.

Weather forecasts:
I use the land forecasts from Environment Canada, because I am coastal sailing in the bay. The marine forecasts are issued by Environment Canada and broadcast by the Coast Guard. The daily forecasts are pretty accurate, as are the forecasts for the next day. But this is NL, and who nows what will happen in a few day's time. The forecasts from Environment Canada, I think, are better than others, such as Accuweather or The Weather Network. I do not find that storms suddenly appear, like they are reported to in the tropics or on the mainland. Yet, in the event of a "brew", being a fishing colony at one point, harbours are plentiful.

I hope thishelps, and entices you further.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/24/2005 7:13 AM Pacific Time

Tim:
Thanks so much for your comprehensive answers. Sounds like just what we are looking for! When we finally get a new tow vehicle we will definitely consider visiting your corner of the world.
Thanks again, Philip & Sharon

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing in Newfoundland