Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to take out a dent on the Mast

Author How to take out a dent on the Mast
Louie M Mendez
Bayonne New Jersey 07002

Boat Name: AEOLUS

Model/Year: C22 fin keel 1986

Hull No. 13354

Hailing Port: Bayonne
07/09/2005 11:40 AM Pacific Time

Mast must of been dropped on stern rail.
Has a dent on the starboard side of the
mast about 2 ft from top.
Is there a way to pull out the dent?
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
07/10/2005 7:16 AM Pacific Time

I suspect that any attempts to remove the bump would weaken the strenght of the mast. Being 2 foot from the top you could remove the crane from the top & see if it could be bumped out internally.

Make sure your lower shrouds are in good shape & plan on light wind - calm water sailing if your track is ok.

With all of the holes for lights & radios drilled in mast a fish plate might be an option, I would ask a professional riggers opinon.

Bob

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/12/2005 12:50 PM Pacific Time

I think a 9/16" hole opposite the dent would give you enough access to use a 1/2" rod of some sort to push out the majority of the dent. Then if you need more area to push on you could slide an angle down the mast, for a wider area
Al Ge
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
07/12/2005 2:26 PM Pacific Time

Here are two suggestions:
1. There is an automobile repair group called Dent Wizards. The can take minor and even fair sized dents out of cars if the paint isn't broken. One time one of their repairmen came to my house to do the work on the car. They might visit your sailboat. I've used their services twice and would do it again if needed. Other body shops may have some ideas as well.

2. You might visit a musical instrument repair shop and see how they take dents out of trumpets and other brass instruments.

Austin Cooley
Mike
Grand Rivers, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 22 / 1977

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ky Lake
07/17/2005 9:03 AM Pacific Time

Poking around the internet I found a couple of folks who mentioned they recalled seeing sleeves welded around the damaged portion of the mast to strengthen the dented area. Anyone ever heard of this being done or know of it being done?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/18/2005 4:49 AM Pacific Time

Mast are repaired with sleeves, but they add weight, and that high up is not where you want to add weight, at least in my opinion.
Al Ge

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / How to take out a dent on the Mast