Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / pipe thru hull

Author pipe thru hull
walt mcenery
Columbus,ohio

Boat Name: ****

Model/Year: catalina 22 / 1974

Hull No. 2468

Hailing Port: Indian lake
07/10/2005 8:12 PM Pacific Time

I'm a new owner of a 22. The Only place where the boat is leaking is around a 2" pvc pipe that has a wire ( single wire) coming out of the top of the pipe. I've looked thru the postings but have not found this problem.
The previous owner think it could be an early hummingbird depth finder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/11/2005 12:24 AM Pacific Time

Hi Walt,

Where is this 2" pvc pipe with a wire ( single wire) coming out of it located on your boat? Where does the wire go to? Is it a wire or cable? Can you give a little more information?

Gary, Sunrise #10868

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/11/2005 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Hi Walt - How about posting a picture on a photo site like yahoo. http://tinyurl.com/bylxf

That way we can see what you are talking about.
walt mcenery
Columbus,ohio

Hull No. 2468

07/11/2005 6:31 PM Pacific Time

Thanks guys. I'll try to get a photo later this week.
The pipe is located forward of the battery in the bilge area, about 6-8 inches from the keel..
walt mcenery
Columbus,ohio

Hull No. 2468

07/11/2005 6:36 PM Pacific Time

Gary,
To answer your question., it is a single wire for sure that has grey plastic around the wire. It was not hooked up to anything. the wire was wrapped around the pipe.
Thanks,
walt

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/11/2005 11:51 PM Pacific Time

Walt, Is your boat in the water currently? Does your C22 have a swing keel? If so, where is this PVC pipe in relation to the keel cable and volcano? If not, is this pipe vertical or horizontal? Can you see what the pipe is connected to at either end?

walt mcenery
Columbus,ohio

Hull No. 2468

07/13/2005 5:46 PM Pacific Time

Mystery Solved>>>
When we pulled the 22 out of the water today, you could see a paddle wheel at the bottom of the pipe. Turns out this is an old knotmeter transducer. I've removed it and will try to figure what the best fix is.
Thanks for your ideas on this matter. It's great knowing this forums really work.
Walt

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / pipe thru hull