Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / British Seagull

Author British Seagull
Bill Burnett
Miami Springs, Florida

Boat Name: Cat's Meow

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel - 1976

Hull No. 6061

Hailing Port: Key Largo, FL
01/15/2004 8:09 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone have comments on the British Seagull engine? I have a 5.5 hp Seagull. Just curious as to your opinion.
Thanks.

Bill Burnett
Cat's Meow #6061
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/15/2004 10:37 PM Pacific Time

My first motor was a 5HP Silver Century Plus. It was loud and smokey (10:1 Gas Oil Mix) and the tiny integral tank was impossible to fill under way. The motor had no connection for a remote tank.. It had forward and neutral and about 130 degree swivel. It had a wrap around rope start. The good news was that it started on the first pull and the five bladed prop would push the boat with a lot of power. For all the bad things above, I sold it and got a 6HP Johnson.
Bill Burnett
Miami Springs, Florida

Boat Name: Cat's Meow

Model/Year: C22 Swing Keel - 1976

Hull No. 6061

Hailing Port: Key Largo, FL
01/17/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Time

Dick,
Thanks for the input.
I only use my Seagull to "drive" through the canal to Manatee Bay. That takes about 15 minutes, on a slow cruise.
Once, I used to motor for about 45 minutes to get me back to port (a lot of high winds and NOT in the direction I wanted).
Everyone I have spoken to that knows the Seagull has great praise for its reliability and "power to weight" performance.
You are right about the shortcomings. However, when I do go to check for fuel it always seems to be at least half full. Meaning I seldom need to refuel while sailing.
About six months after I got my boat and motor I was having problems with the motor just quitting after about 10 minutes running. Come to find out, the cause was "sour" fuel. The fuel had been sitting in for over a month, and with the gas/oil mixture, had become bad. Once I remedied that problem she seems to always start on the first pull (or so).
I do like the attached tank also. That leaves more room on the boat (except for the spare one gallon gas container).
Well, didn't mean to ramble on so...Thanks again for the comment. (Any others anybody?)

Bill Burnett
Miami Springs, FL
Cat's Meow #6061

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/17/2004 6:30 AM Pacific Time

Bill................

Hard to believe that the fuel would "go sour" in only a month. Those Seagull outboards are pretty lightweight and I would like something a little more powerful just in case I needed to get out of a jam. It would be OK for a backup....... but I would not use for my only power source.
Donald G. Johnson
Missouri City, TX

Boat Name: My Pie

Model/Year: C-22 1974

Hull No. 3740

Hailing Port: Seabrook, TX
07/09/2005 8:52 AM Pacific Time

I have a 3.5 hp 1984 British Seagull. Starts and runs great. A little noisey and smokey with the 25:1 fuel oil mixture. Very reliable. I got some 140 wt gear oil from a guy in Canada. I've had to manufacture some cork gaskets which seem to be working. I have an operators manual and a repair manual. I use the motor as a back up to my 4.5 Mercury in case of emergency. It stows nicely in the hold. I've done a lot of research so may be able to answer a few questions. I emphasize the MAY.
Bill Harrington
Miami, Florida

Boat Name: Runaway

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Miami
09/27/2005 8:09 AM Pacific Time

To Bill Burnett of Cat's Meow,

I am interested in sailing from Miami to Keys. Please call me to discuss. 786-556-6406.
Thanks

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / British Seagull