Safety

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Inflatable Life Rafts

Author Inflatable Life Rafts
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
07/17/2005 12:41 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have experience outfitting their C22 with an inflatable liferaft like a Winslow? What is the best way to mount it for easy deployment? What experience does any have with using one? Any other info would be great!
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/17/2005 2:20 PM Pacific Time

I haven't heard of anyone mounting a proper life raft on a C22. I looked up the Winslow, and the canopied one is 24x14x9.5"H and about 40 pounds (and $2625). One option is to mount it on the cabin top, but I expect it would block your view too much. Another option is in front of the cabin, but that might impede getting to the foredeck for sail changes, and might also be hard to get to in the circumstances where you would need to abandon ship.

What about storing it in the starboard quarterberth (reachable from the companionway)? The weight would be centered pretty well, it wouldn't have any windage, and it could not be washed overboard by a wave.

Are you considering this to meet racing rules, or for piece of mind?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/18/2005 5:47 AM Pacific Time

Hi David - Just out of curiosity, why do you want to invest that much money in an inflatable, when a small dinghy might well suffice?
John Haggis
Victoria BC

Boat Name: Windfall

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1973

Hull No. 2934

Hailing Port: Victoria BC
07/18/2005 7:53 AM Pacific Time

I did not want to spend half of what I paid for my boat on a dinghy so I bought a Sevylor T250. It is the perfect boat for the C-22. It stores well down below, inflates quickly on the foredeck, is very stable, and best of all it deflates quickly for storage. It cost me about $360.00 Canadian ($290.00 US).

John Haggis
Victoria BC
Windfall
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
07/18/2005 10:01 PM Pacific Time

First off, this is most definitely for peace of mind! I will be taking a two-week trip in Alaska's Southeast Passage and I'm not leaving much to chance. Whales, bergie-bits, the Alaska Marine Highway ships, submerged rocks that didn't make it to the charts, and long, narrow fjords where the wind can throw you against a lee shore without much warning are all concerns.

Additionally, I will hopefully someday get the chance to live aboard a much larger, ocean-going vessel and a life raft at that time will be a must!

This will certainly not be used as a dinghy - only severe emergency. These reasons lead me to think that it may be a good idea to have a failsafe. . .

Safety
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Safety / Inflatable Life Rafts