Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Smallest HP to push 22 Catalina

Author Smallest HP to push 22 Catalina
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
07/18/2005 5:10 PM Pacific Time

What is the smallest HP engine I can use to push my 22 Catalina. My 9 HP Johnson died.

Thanks
Keith
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/18/2005 7:51 PM Pacific Time

If you race and want the smallest/lightest engine, I think the minimum the class rules allow is 4HP. A 5HP will get you close to hull speed. You need to decide whether you want an alternator, 1 or 2 cylinders (2 is smoother and more dependable), and 2 or 4 cycle (4 is cleaner and gets better mileage, but weighs more). I have an 8HP Evinrude, but would condsider going to a 6HP (2 cylinder) if I had to replace it.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
07/19/2005 5:40 AM Pacific Time

I think the rules people were debating a wieght rule for motors since the 4 stokes are heavy. Thus the new 40 # rule????
Chris Soelling
Seattle, WA

Boat Name: Partners

Model/Year: ??

Hull No. 147

Hailing Port: Seattle
07/19/2005 6:57 AM Pacific Time

I've used a four stroke Honda 2 horse, which did the minimum to push the boat up and down the river out to Puget Sound. Had to run it pretty much at full throttle. I've since switched to a 2 stroke Mariner 4 horse and it is plenty, never crack it even beyond the "start" position on the throttle. I think a 3 horse will do it. Depends, of course on your style, i.e. whether you motor a lot and for long distances. I sailed for years without a motor at all, and only use them for docking when I have to go deep into the bowels of a marina and you can't sail.

Chris
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
07/19/2005 9:44 AM Pacific Time

I use a 2.5hp mariner, and get 5kts at 3/4 throttle on a protected lake....

If I were heading out of a bay into open water, I would want more ooommph...

Garrett
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
07/19/2005 11:44 AM Pacific Time

Years ago when I was a minimalist... I used a seagull 2 hp and it worked fine for lakes and the estuary, but one time I got caught up in the middle of the bay and the wind just went out like someone flipped the fan switch off. Boy oh boy… it did take me f o r e v e r to get back to my slip… Now I have an Honda 8 (because it has a generator) ~ Frank
Jim Mo...
Kingsville TX

Boat Name: "Frozen Fire" Maybe, We'll Sea~~~

Model/Year: Catalin 22, 1980

Hull No. CTYH9984M81C

Hailing Port: Corpus Christi, TX
07/19/2005 8:34 PM Pacific Time

I spoke to the Catalina Staff. They replied, 6-9.9hp. My choice, 2 or 4 stroke.

Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
07/20/2005 5:08 AM Pacific Time

I have a Johnson 6 cyl. I am on the Long Island Sound.
When the NE wind picks up to over 20 knts, coming from our harbor and the water is rough, I need something that will get us in. This works fine.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/21/2005 5:21 AM Pacific Time

I have a 9.9 hp here in Fort Worth, Texas that I would like to sell to buy a lighter weight motor. It runs and starts great, but it is heavier than I need for racing. I'm not a cruiser, especially on my home Lake Arlington, 1x3 miles.
Any takers?
Al Gearing
817-295-9234
[email protected]
Gordon Sell
Flemington, NJ

Boat Name: none

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. 7282

Hailing Port: Spruce Run Reservoir
07/22/2005 6:25 AM Pacific Time

For 8 years I sailed a 77 C22 on a small reservoir (Spruce Run, near Clinton) in NJ where we store the boats fully rigged on trailers, and ramp launch for each sail. Day sailing, no current, small lake, and sails up as soon as I leave the dock. After five years of wrestling with a 6HP evinrude with a tendonitis starter, I bought a 55 LB trolling motor and never went back. Every 3 or 4 sails I'd take the battery home to charge. I had a separate battery for the motor, and almost never used the main battery, which I kept charged as a backup in case. If there was wind I sailed. Once I was becalmed on the far end of the lake and motored about 2 miles @ about 3 knots with battery to spare. Another time I was able to motor up to the dock with full control into a 20 knot wind off the port bow.
No lectures please -- I would never use it on tidal waters or a large body of water. But you can't beat instant -on/off power, 360-degree steering, low noise, no polution, and being able to lift it off the motor mount with one hand. If I'd added a decent solar panel it would have probably been self charging for once or twice a week sailing. My boat is up for sale now at the Sailboat Shop in Glen Gardner, NJ. I wanted to try some one-design racing and chartered a Flying Scot for the season. If anyone is shopping, the C22 is listed on the store's web site.
Gordon Sell (7182) Flemington, NJ

PS: I had unsubscribed to this list last Winter, and suddenly, without warning, the emails started up again. It's a great list, with lots of great ideas from the members.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
07/22/2005 9:22 AM Pacific Time

Hi Gordon!
Say 'hello' to Paul van der Meer for me...I bought his '82 Cat 22 last year. Great boat except for the cockpit drains which are a nemesis on all those forward tilting cockpit soles.
The 'Spruce Run' decal is still on it, but it's living in the upper Chesapeake Bay, presently.
Thanks!
Linda
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
07/23/2005 2:18 AM Pacific Time

My 1988 Mercury 4 hp Sailpower has been a (knock on wood) dream for the past four years. Like a champ, it has started after Alaska winters, South Dakota summers, and who knows how long of sitting at a dock before I picked Sundae up for the first time. I can make 5 knots any day of the week without turning past 3/4 on the throttle.

Some cons - my model only had an integral tank which I later removed - ran the fuel line straight out the hole where the gas on/off switch went and used the switch inline with a fuel hose/primer bulb combo to a Wal-Mart-special 6-gallon tank with Mercury fittings. Another con (probably due to age) is that there is no safety cuttoff and the shut-down button is a real bear to engage - not very safe when you need to shut it off quick.

The real test comes in a week when I battle the icebergs, whales, currents, tides, and ferries of AK's Inside Passage for two weeks.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Smallest HP to push 22 Catalina