Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / yellow jackets

Author yellow jackets
Kenneth Lewis Jay
Wenatchee, WA

Boat Name: Memories

Model/Year: C22-1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Lake Chelan, WA
07/24/2005 3:14 PM Pacific Time

opened my boat today to get ready to take it on vacation next week. first time this season. I know, don't ask. i slid the hatch back and was greeted by it's new owners, a bunch of just as surprised yellow jackets. what should i do to get them out of there in a hurry so i can get the boat ready to hit the water?
thanks
lj
memories, c22, 12928
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/24/2005 5:02 PM Pacific Time

They sell bug bombs for houses. You open the valve, close the door, and leave it for 12 hours. I don't know if it would stain the cushions or anything else.

If you can see the nest, you could spray it at night.
Bob Rayner
Sidney,B.C.

Boat Name: Pooh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 ( swing keel)

Hull No. 5370

Hailing Port: Sidney, BC, Canada
07/25/2005 8:36 AM Pacific Time

When I run into yellow jackets I've found the best solution is to hit the nest in the evening with my shop vacuum and suck them all up. Then seal the shop vac in a black garbage bag for 24 hours and your problem is solved.

Bob Rayner
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
07/25/2005 9:44 AM Pacific Time

add a few moth balls to the shop vac tank, it will kill them faster.
Todd Swenson
Mohegan Lake, NY

Boat Name: Hush

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. CTYH2755J485

Hailing Port: Peekskill, New York
07/26/2005 4:45 AM Pacific Time

I agree with Bob and Ken that a shop vac works very well on yellow jackets. Here's what I did when I had to get rid of a nest.
First, I protected myself by putting on a ski jacket, ski pants and gloves, a wide brimmed hat and a bug net over the hat to protect my face. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but better safe than sorry.
Next, I got out the shop vac, a can of wasp and yellow jacket spray, and a hazzard light, (the kind mechanics use.) Any type of strong light source that can be switched on and off easily would work.
The important thing is to work at night. Most of the yellow jackets, except for one or two sentinels will be back in the nest when it's dark.
Next, approach the nest slowly and quietly. Approaching slowly and quietly was natural for me because I was shaking in my boots.
When I had the shop vac and hazzard light close to the nest entrance, I switched them both on at the same time. The yellow jackets came pouring out of the nest but headed straight for the light where I vacuumed them up one by one, then the nest itself. If I hadn't had the light, I sure many would have gotten past the shop vac as they bolted out of the nest. Finally I vacuumed in a good dose of bug killer. Mission accomplished. You may want to leave the vac running and move it out of the cabin before adding the insecticide to avoid a lot of fumes. I good cleaning around where the nest was may keep the lonely sentinels from returning. Best of Luck.
Todd Swenson

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / yellow jackets