Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Genoa foot length?

Author Genoa foot length?
Mike
Sterling, VA

Boat Name: Sick Days

Model/Year: Cat 22 1993

Hull No. 15288

Hailing Port: Alexandria, VA
01/16/2004 6:56 AM Pacific Time

My head sail is a furled Genoa. Most of my sailing is in light wind. And unfortunatly my Genoa has sailed its last day. I need a new one but, not sure if I have a 150 or a 135. Does anyone know what the length of the foot of the sail measures?

Also What size would be best? I have heard that the 150 can over power a 22 and make the boat point badly? Is this true? Would a 135 be better?

Thanks for the recomendations!

Mike
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
01/16/2004 8:17 AM Pacific Time

Mike - Unfurl the genoa fully and measure from the clew back to the forestay (perpendicular to the forestay) If it is about 12 feet, you have a 150. If it is 10 feet 10 inches (aprox) you have a 135. I suspect you have the latter. Contrary to what you may have heard, a 150 is the ideal sail for winds up to about 10-15 kts. The boat drives very well on the 150, but gets overpowered in higher winds, unless you have plenty of weight on the rail to keep the boat from heeling too much.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/17/2004 9:55 AM Pacific Time

Mike, I have a CD Ullman 135 Genoa hank on and find it to be far superior to a CD Catalina 150. It sails up wind great, tack across the stays and handles great, reaches great, sail wing on wing great without pole. far superior to a hank on 150 I have largely due to the slightly shorter foot and higher clew.

If you are cruising I would highly reccommend it. It is my best sail and think the 135 may be more suited to the 22 than a 150 unless you class race.

Scott McIntosh
lil' Liberty C22 #213
Sunnyvale, Ca
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
01/17/2004 10:39 AM Pacific Time

I have a 150 on a Schaeffer Snap-Furl and use it in 5-25 knots. At 5 knots I use the full main/150. If the wind builds I'll roll in the jib a little. More wind and I reef the main. Then I'll drop the main. If I am overpowered with the only the jib furled to 110, I furl it completely and motor home. If it is blowing 10-15 when I start sailing, I often sail with just the 150 (it is SOOO easy!).
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
01/17/2004 12:55 PM Pacific Time

I tried sailing last year with just my 110 up. I had troubles sailing into the wind. I needed to fall off so far to get the boat to move that it took me forever to get back to the dock. And my tacks were terrible-falling off to far then gaining headway and climbing back up. Do you have any hints, tips, or tricks---what I mean is please tell how you accomplish this so that I can learn to do it as well?
Thank You
Lance
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

01/17/2004 1:50 PM Pacific Time

What sort of helm do you have when you are beating into the wind with just the 110? If you have lee helm, that may be the problem. Whenever I fly just the jib, there is enough wind to produce heel that gives me weather helm despite all my sail area being forward. If you try to sail in light winds with just the jib, you'll probably have lee helm and won't point well.
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/18/2004 9:47 AM Pacific Time

I have used just the 110 in 25 to 38 mph gust and found it a great workout for the boat & me @ GPS 7.8 mph with surf. The only helm problem I recall is sailing down wind in 3 – 4 foot waves she was fish tail slippery wanting to broach. She pointed fine and it was a great day of single-handing. A few weeks later in similar wind conditions I tried just the reefed main & was disappointed in the performance, my main is blown so trimming a blown reefed main is lacking. I have yet to sail to 150 only, hanking on it best to guess more, than less wind. As I have said before in any attempt to overpower the boat with sail she has just pointed up, after 30 degrees heel it feels like I have no rudder and she points up automatically. I thought with just the 110 she would hold the point tighter, than with the main also, she might have, but I was having too much fun to note the difference.

Wind 15 to 21 today in the 50’s might be a 150 only day. Note; do not forget to adjust those jib tracks for the correct sail trim (flat).

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/17/2004 8:08 AM Pacific Time

I find the above interesting reading as I have just rebuilt a 22. I replaced all rigging and many other items. I took it out the other day for the first time. I have a new main (full batten) and was trying to use a roller furling. The furling kept winding up on tacks and was snagging on the forestay. I must admit frustration, and have decided to sell the furling system and buy a hank on. I live on a inland lake in western Va. (Smith Mtn. Lake) and we often get sudden gusts shooting down inlets and ridges. On the main alone I was heeled 15-20 at times (after rolling up the furling and saying forget it). It sounds like a 130-135 may be an excellent choice for me under these conditions. We are not racing and don't have ideal open water so speed isn't too critical -but constant movement is. Your above comments seem directed toward this idea of a 130-35. Any further thoughts would be appreciated and I am looking for a sail -- and also selling the whole furling system (Harken 436).
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

05/17/2004 2:50 PM Pacific Time

Bill, it sounds like you may not be tying off the furling line after you have deployed the sail. If the furling line is cleated off, the furler should rotate only about 60 degrees when you tack.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/18/2004 2:21 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have one question that is not directly related to the topic but I don't want to start another thread at this point. Question is, how to adjust jib tracks for the correct sail trim? I'm a new owner of 1986 C22 and so far I sailed her only once, 15 knots with only my 150 furler on. It was fun but she didn't point right and both jib sheets kept jamming in the tracks.
Thanks.
Spirit, 13485

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Genoa foot length?