Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Porpoise Sails?

Author Porpoise Sails?
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Boat Name: Nautigirl

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: QDNYC, N. Kingstown, RI
07/26/2005 7:44 PM Pacific Time

Hello All,
Found a guy in Florida, Porpoise Sailing Services, that has very reasonable prices on new sails. www.porpoisesailing.com Since I just cruise maximizing my rig is not a priority. My sails are original, 1983's I believe and tired is an understatement. Porpoise product is made offshore with US material. Any input on Porpoise would be nice. Thanks, RT
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/27/2005 5:45 AM Pacific Time

There are a number of good sail makers here in the States who deserve your business. Yes, they may charge a bit more, but if you need some corrections they are here and you can get the corrections made. Off shore sourcing is great for price, but the seller is making a lot profit, for some labor that is cheap. Look at the clothes that you buy that are made in China, instead of here in the states, many people and companies are out of business because big companies have gone off shore to have things made. Our own government subsidizes these companies by guaranteeing that they will be bailed out at taxpayer expense, if they loose.
I would ask everyone to call your congressional representative, at his/her local office today and urge them to vote NO on CAFTA, (Central America Free Trade Areas) they voted to stay in the WTO for another ten years, but WTO and CAFTA will be given power to subersede our own national, state and local laws. That amounts to giving away our national soverviegnty. Please, call. I'm sorry to digress from the spirit of this board, but this is important.
Thanks, Al Gearing
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Hull No.

07/27/2005 7:35 PM Pacific Time

While I agree with you on most of your points Al, the problem of US companies going offshore is not going to go away. Its centered around greed. Executives at US companies generally aren't all that bright. They also have a fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders to produce a profit. Its easier to move a manufacturing facility offshore than it is to fix the screwed up management practices that exist in most companies. Their compensation revolves around profit and so they do the easiest thing which is move to where the cheap labor is. Actually changing management practices so that a US company can be competitive with offshore can be done but not without damaging the egos of the execs. There are plenty of examples of US companies that have changed and are successful. The bulk just go offshore. The average US stockholder doesn't really care as long as their 401K/IRA/portfolio does well. There is no long range planning or thought, just the next quarters earnings and their bonuses. If compensation was linked to US employed workers you can be sure things would change in a hurry. I'm not just running my mouth. I have a graduate degree in business and many years in manufacturing management to back it up. Corporate America is full of weenies that haven't a clue and are paid well to not have a clue. Its truely sad. I got out of it, started my own company doing what I love and have never looked back. All this rambling aside, the quote I got from North Sails was DOUBLE what I am paying Porpoise. North's quote was better than 2/3's what I paid for the whole boat, with the OB! Just didn't make sense. Sure the Porpoise product may be not quite as good but it will be way better than what I have. RT
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
07/27/2005 7:45 PM Pacific Time

stick to the subject and try to keep politics out of our enjoyment of sailing
winn

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/28/2005 5:25 AM Pacific Time

fyi, gus sails out of rockwall, tx provides excellent sails at very competitive prices...
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/28/2005 7:03 AM Pacific Time

Let me echo what Winn said. I have a Gus Main that I really like.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
07/28/2005 10:22 AM Pacific Time

One more vote for Bill Draheim and Gus Sails.

I purchased a 150 genoa and main (genoa is Mylar), with draft stipes, insignia and numbers for $1,300.

For a set of racing sails, this is about half of what North Sails wants.

Buff Decker
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/28/2005 2:23 PM Pacific Time

I didn't realize that I was going to be getting bargain when I get around to ordering my sails from Bill Drahiem, which is who I bought my last sails from. But Bill is now a member of our club so I won't even have drive out and pick them up, just wait until he comes in to sail his MC.
Al Ge
Robert Thomas
Wakefield, RI

Hull No.

08/22/2005 7:43 PM Pacific Time

Just an FYI. I went with the Porpoise product and I am very happy with the sails. $708 for jib/main to my door. I don't race, just cruise about. I have used them 10-12 times so far and they work very well, fit nicely and trim out as you would expect. No complaints. RT

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Porpoise Sails?