Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What do I need??

Author What do I need??
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
08/04/2005 9:51 AM Pacific Time

I am getting a new to me Catalina 22 '82. I'm sure that there are a number of things (fire extinguisher, flares, horn, etc.) that I need to get to have the boat "ready" to sail. I'm not talking about rigging, sails, checking the keel, etc. - more like the ancillary things that would increase safety and comfort. What are your thoughts??
Alan Parker
Fresno, CA

Boat Name: Shadowfax

Model/Year: 22/1976

Hull No. 5990

Hailing Port: Friant Marina
08/05/2005 4:30 PM Pacific Time

This may sound silly, but those floating key rings are something to have handy... several of them.
Of course the ones you mentioned. A good supply of fresh water, hand soap or sanitizer, paper towels - toilet paper in a sealed plastic container.
An anchor hanger mounted to the bow pulpit is very handy...
Start collecting odds & ends - extras... stainless nuts/bolts/wing nuts and tiller-rudder bolts, extras of things you've used more than once... plan ahead...
Hobie Davidson
Titusville, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Titusville
08/06/2005 12:39 AM Pacific Time

How about a portable AM/FM radio and a hand held vhf radio for emergencies. Flares, life jackets, rain protection, dry storage food, bilge pump, and an inflatable woman. All this just in case!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/06/2005 4:34 AM Pacific Time

Here's my short list.....

1) Pair of cheap binoculars
2) Small insulated cooler with handle
3) American Flag
4) Unfashionable hat with floppy brim
5) T-shirt with trite nautical expression
6) Deck shoes with white soles
7) Multi-functional wrist watch designed for sailors (I don't have one, but they sure look cool in the catalogs!)
8) Current and paid-up Boat insurance card
9) US Sailing sticker for car window
10) Tag for front of car/truck that leaves no doubt that the driver is a sailor of some repute
11) Assortment of bungee cords of different lengths and colors
12) Voltmeter
13) small toolbox with set of stainless steel tools (buy as needed)
14) Catalogs from Catalina Direct, West Marine, Defenders
15) Books about sailing, sailboats, sailors
16) Subscriptions to Sail, Sailing World, Cruising World, Good Old Boat, Wooden Boat, any others that tickle your fancy
17, Web sites of four or five people who are re-doing their sailboat, i.e., Chip Ford.
18. Repair manual for your outboard, replacement spark plugs, spare impeller
19. extra life jackets for guests.
20. If you wear glasses or sunglasses, the string tshing that connects the earpieces and keeps it from flying off your head and into the water (it has a name, I just can't remember what it is called....)
21. Friends that you can take sailing
22. Take a boat safety course

These will get you started and flatten your bank account. It will be worth every penny you spend!
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/07/2005 7:31 PM Pacific Time

Don't forget a waterproof flashlight, first aid kit, shear pins for the outboard, and dock lines so you can tie up at a waterside restaurant and feel really cool arriving by boat.

If you sail at night, make sure you have a couple of personal strobes
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
08/08/2005 6:48 AM Pacific Time

If you really think about it, your boat is your home, if you are going to be cruising, and like a day trip if you're racing. I think a first need only be a good patch of bandaids. I have found that is the only things that ever got used out of the first aid kits that I have bought over 14 years of sailing a 35' racer/cruiser, so now that is all I have on board. Keep it simple.
Al Ge
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
08/08/2005 11:12 AM Pacific Time

Looking for Mike Smalter, Paul here C141 group.
[email protected]
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
08/08/2005 1:17 PM Pacific Time

Bandaids, lots of them. Small toolbox with basic tools, hexsaw, wire cutter, etc. I have a couple of screwdrivers with replaceable bits. Very handy. Also, I tried to find a manual drill (no batteries required) but couldn't find it at any store. Instead, I bought an inexpensive wireless drill with a basic set of drill bits. Lots of usage.

"Spirit" #13485

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/08/2005 6:59 PM Pacific Time

All the above items are great and should be on every boat (inflatable women?). But, the things I've noticed passengers seems to like the most are the little tilt gauge, working running lights, a VHF radio they can hear the traffic on, and the barbeque. Just something about an evening cruise while watching the sun go down, anchoring and cooking a small meal, then heading back with the stars come out, the lights a shining, and the sounds of skippers chatting to each other in the distance... An easy and discreet way for a passenger to relieve themselves can also make the trip more enjoyable. Oh, add a bottle opener, matches, log book, and a cheap camera!

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What do I need??