Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Keel down/up?

Author Keel down/up?
Bill Dobbins
Lake Shawnee, NJ

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/10/2005 3:09 AM Pacific Time

My cat 22 is kept in a fresh water lake slip but its a rough water spot. My grown son repleced it last year (from Catalina Direct) but it broke at the botom sleve again recently. Anyone ever replace it while in the water? Afterward, I'm wondering - does it put less wear on the cable if I leave it down or up while tied in the slip?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/10/2005 2:31 PM Pacific Time

If your slip is deep and you don't have weeds near it, I'd keep the keel down and lock it. With the keel down, all the weight is on the block in the keel well. I'd lock it to prevent sideways motion. If you have weeds, and back up with the keel down, the weeds will wrap around your cable and be near impossible to get off.

I've had 2 keel cables break where they contact the turning ball (just above the swage). I used to raise the keel all the way every time, but now I count turns on the winch handle and raise it 27, 28, or 29 turns (29+ is all the way up). That way the wear on the cable is distributed over its length.
Wes Van Nurden
Chippewa Falls, WI

Boat Name: Puddle Jumper

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11164

Hailing Port: Lake Wissota, Chippewa Falls, WI
08/11/2005 5:37 AM Pacific Time

Our 22 is on a mooring and get pretty rough since the moorings are exposed to the entire length of the lake (4 miles). I keep the keel down with it locked. There is less movement, no wear and tear on the cable and no chance for the cable to break and drop the keel at the mooring. Also with the tiller tied off to center there seems to be much less "sailing" around the mooring.
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
08/11/2005 6:10 AM Pacific Time

I keep Pog Mo Thoin! in her slip with the keel down and locked. This accomplishes a couple of things. First, no stress on the cable. Secondly, with all that weight lowered and the verticle surface area, the boat does not rock nearly as much as if the keel was up. This is a plus if other sailboats are near by as it will help reduce the incidents of rigging getting tangled.
Kent Overbeck
Signal Mountain, TN

Boat Name: Leap Frog & FrogZilla

Model/Year: '88 Wing keel / '69 swing

Hull No. 14647 / 185

Hailing Port: Chattanooga, TN
08/12/2005 4:20 PM Pacific Time

It seems to me that having the keel down would just add to the wear on the keel pin. Most slips in a marina are far enough apart so mast tangling is not an issue. I realize that there are some exceptions.

Kapt'n Kermit

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/13/2005 5:36 AM Pacific Time

Hey Ken, I am not 100% sure but I think keep the keel up would add more wear and tear to the keel pin and the cable. The reasoning is that when the keel is in the slot, at least on the Banshee, there absolutely no movement. When I take her out of the water and the keel is up, then is probably 2 inches of side to side movement, this movement cannot be good for the pin. Plus all the pressure that is on the cable will eventually cuase it to fail. Some of these folks have had a couple cables fail already, I will be they keep the keel up. See ya soon, Bob Scott, Banshee
Bill Dobbins
Lake Shawnee, NJ

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/16/2005 3:42 PM Pacific Time

I'm not sure how to lock the keel down on my '80 Cat 22. How do you do that?

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Keel down/up?