Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / GPS antenna location

Author GPS antenna location
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
08/14/2005 6:02 AM Pacific Time

For a variety of reasons (primarily safety with an 8 and 5 year old aboard), we've purchased a Garmin GPS for our C-22. Trouble is, I can not find any hint of the best mounting location. The best/only advice out there is to ensure that it has an unobstructed view of the heavens. My thought was a mast mount (impractical until the mast is out) or on a short riser outside the cockpit coaming near the transom. Any advice/takers?

Sean
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/14/2005 9:06 AM Pacific Time

I've heard 2 great options on this list, plus 1 that I've used before I heard the lists ideas:
1. Make a "dummy" hatchboard for the companionway that has the GPS mounted to it.
2. Mount the GPS to a hinged board attached to the inside teak companionway moulding. Flip it into the companionway when you need it. Flip it out of the way for access to the cabin.

Both of the ideas above let you wire it to the main battery if you wish.

3. For my small handheld unit, I put a piece of Velcro on the back of the unit as well as on both sides of the companionway. I also attached a safety line to the sliding hatch handle just in case the Velcro failed.

All of the instalations above are removeable and when the boat is put away, no one can see you have it.
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
08/15/2005 6:40 AM Pacific Time

As so often happens on this forum people dont listen to the question , if I'm not mistaken it was , where to mount the antenna ? and the sideways answer is that you dont need a gps that requires an antenna if you are sailing a cat 22 in the normal(?) manner
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

08/15/2005 9:24 AM Pacific Time

Yes and no. Yes, we're not looking for the location of the GPS but rather the antenna. I spoke to a few people who had some issues with finding/holding the satellite links w/out the external antenna. Therefore we went with the external vs internal unit. The antenna is a doughnut shaped unit measuring about 3" in diameter and another three inches bottom to top.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
08/16/2005 8:45 AM Pacific Time

I've mounted mine on the starboard side just forward of the point where the stern pulpit attaches to the deck outside of the coaming. It works fine.

I've mounted the display unit on the starboard side of the interior companion way trim. I used an arm in the West Marine catalog. Using a flat piece of lexan and a vertical piece glued to it I mounted my GPS, Depth/speed guage and compass on the arm.

The units sit in the companion way when I am sailing and swings out of the way when not in use.

The only thing I would have done differently is to bevel the vertical piece to give me a slight angle for my dispays.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
08/16/2005 9:38 AM Pacific Time

It is not a good idea to put the antenna at the top of the mast. In rough water the motion of the boat moves the antenna enough to cause erratic readings.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

08/17/2005 6:26 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for the advice. After revisiting the boat again I think that the location near the cockpit/pulpit is best. Particularly if I can get it reasonably close to one of the stanchions to prevent a stray toe from carrying it OB.

Thank you everyone.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / GPS antenna location