Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Clunk when letting keel down

Author Keel Clunk when letting keel down
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
08/22/2005 6:11 PM Pacific Time

When i let my keel down to the the last crank of the winch and cable it seems like the keel clunks down the rest of the way like it was stuck. Is it normal for the last foot of the keel and cable to clunk to be full down. Also does the cable vibrate when you are sailing .

Thanks

Keith
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/22/2005 7:50 PM Pacific Time

My keel doesn't clunk on the hull when it goes down, although sometimes when winding up or down, the cable slips off a high spot on the winch winding and clunks a little.

The cable will hum loudly if the cable is taught and you have good boat speed. I usually loosen the cable a turn to stop the humming unless there are big waves. If I am pounding through the waves, I figure it is best for the keel to be supported at both ends.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
08/23/2005 6:54 AM Pacific Time

I can't help with the clunk but the humming seems to be normal and wide spread. In fact, the prior owner of my C-22 ('78, hull #4285) playfully referred to her as Hummer because "She hummed when she was happy." (e.g. when she was going really fast through the water).
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
08/23/2005 7:09 AM Pacific Time

I followed this lead on Chips list serve and mine did the samething. When it got to a certain speed, the cable will hum. Think of it as a violin string, when tight, it vibrates easier producing audible sound. Just turn your winch 1-2 extra turns to loosen the cable, the sound will disappear!
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
08/23/2005 7:51 AM Pacific Time

I have a 87 (14306) and there's two spots that I also hear the hum..At the drum, if you let as as others have stated, the hum does disappear but I also hear it at the pin end under some circumstances.

I recently pulled the boat and no obvious issues appear. I did remove the keel and milled the hole to receive the CD bushing (pin 1" OD, hole 1.25" oblong!). I also faired the keel while at it. Still a mystery why second area would hum unless its just air (by design). Any thoughts??
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
08/23/2005 8:01 PM Pacific Time

Keith, remove the keel winch cover and inspect the winch from the cabin.
Start from the full length cable on the winch and while lowering the keel observe the cable going down. Cable on my C22 was stuck and I couldn't get rid of the anoying vibration.
I realligned the cable on the winch and fixed the issue. Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485
Alan Parker
Fresno, CA

Boat Name: Shadowfax

Model/Year: 22/1976

Hull No. 5990

Hailing Port: Friant Marina
08/24/2005 12:10 PM Pacific Time

I was told by several folks that the vibration was a performance telltale. If you've got your sails trimmed and pointing high into the wind - that hum starts and I think the boat is performing well.
Can't help wih any keel clunk - I don't experience that.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/24/2005 11:27 PM Pacific Time

The klunk might be that you have the lock down screw tightened and the keel is catching on it. That's something you may want to remedy sooner than later.

The humming is the keel cable - if you like it, then leave it. If you don't, just let the cable out a few additional turns and it will stop singing to (at?) you. When i bought the boat, the previous owner said he didn't know what it was and that it always made the noise... :)
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
08/25/2005 11:52 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Everyone I will check out the cable, winch and keel lockdown bolt this weekend.

Keith

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel Clunk when letting keel down