Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Glazing Channel and Window curves

Author Glazing Channel and Window curves
Bobby McCullough
Franklin, TN

Boat Name: Intrepid

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. 741

Hailing Port: Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes
08/25/2005 3:49 PM Pacific Time

I purchased the glazing channel (over a year ago) and have finally worked up the nerve to begin the work. The glass and frames are out and the glass has been cleaned and tinted. When I put the glazing channel up to the glass though, the channel is one solid straight piece. If I bend it around the corners of the glass, the channel "opens up." What should I do about this? Should I put little radial slits in the channel when it goes around a curve to make it work? Help anyone!
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Boat Name: Second Wind

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
08/25/2005 4:29 PM Pacific Time

Bobby-
Having just gone through this, I hope I can help! I found the same issues you did and what I did was dry fit the frames around the glass before applying the sealant. I would cut the glazing to lenth and put the cut ends at the top of the window. It will flare out around the corners, but fit the glass into the bottom half of the frame being careful not to let the corners of the frame gouge or tear the glazing. It will still be flared around the ends of the frame.

Then I found it useful to fit the top half of the frame slowly down onto the glass and as the gaps close between the two frame halves, use some outward (spreading) pressure on the top frame half. Have a helper hold the glass and with a little practice you will figure it out. I never thought it was possible, but it really is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

I couldn't get a really good fit until I put the sealant on everything, it sort of acts Like a lubricant and lets it come together nicely.
billy
North Myrtle Beach SC

Boat Name: Willow Angelina

Model/Year: 1976 Catalina 30

Hull No. 236

Hailing Port: Mariners Pointe
08/09/2006 11:36 AM Pacific Time

Ken what am I doing wrong? I have one last traposzoidal window left and I cannot get one end of the frame to close. The glazing keeps bunching up even with pulling it as tight as possible? I have completley re built & restored my 30, and this part of the process has been the biggest pain yet! It seem that the glazing does not fit into the channel with the window inside the glazing. I have one piece left and I think I may have to redo this window.
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
08/09/2006 12:57 PM Pacific Time

Billy-
I had the same problem with mine. I'm assuming here that yours are similar to an early 22 here, but I found that once everything was ready to go together, (sealant applied, etc.) to put the glass in the bottom half first. Place the glass in one end at a time and you will have to gently spread the frame half to keep it from snagging on the vinyl. Then have a helper hold that assembly upright. Then I took the top half of the frame and set one end where it should be ( usually on the back side) and pulled outward on the frame to spread it slightly in order to prevent the rubber from bunching up around the frame half as I put it together. Of course don't pull too much as could ruin the frame, but I found that it worked perfectly for me and I was able to finish without ruining my marriage, or having my kids pickup some new words for pre-school!!! I hope this helps!
billy
North Myrtle Beach SC

Hull No. 236

08/10/2006 4:57 AM Pacific Time

Ken, Thanks, Then I have to find me a helper, I have been doing it alone, Fortunatley I have some glazing left and will redo the window. After I am done with my 30, I am going to begin working on her little sister a 1986 Catalina 22 that is almost mint condition, but needs a good cleaning and polish, BUT NO WINDOW WORK!
Thanks again, and I will keep you posted.
Billy
billy
North Myrtle Beach SC

Hull No. 236

08/22/2006 2:02 PM Pacific Time

Ken,
As an update. Got a helper and prdered new glazing from Glass Distributors, Inc in MD. Same stuff. Going to re-do 4 windows. Will let you know what a mess it becomes.
Ken Dula
Fletcher, N.C.

Hull No. 7697

Hailing Port:
08/23/2006 6:24 AM Pacific Time

Billy-
Good luck, if I can help, let me know.
Ken
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 11:04 AM Pacific Time

I noticed the same problem with my CD kit I installed last month. What I did was streach the seal about 3 to 6 in around the window. In the tight corners I streched it a lot and pressed the glass and seal in place. Mine turned out great all I can say is if I ever do it again. I will make sure to have someone helping me.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Glazing Channel and Window curves