Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / North Georgia C22 Owners

Author North Georgia C22 Owners
Andrew Schmidt
Kennesaw, GA

Boat Name: Peace of Schmidt

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/07/2005 7:43 AM Pacific Time

I'm about to become the proud owner of a (new to me) 1974 Catalina 22. Currently it's in Lake Lanier. I am going to be moving it to Lake Allatoona. This is my first sailboat, and I need help! I've read all I can about mast raising and lowering, but it's still daunting to me. I have every confidence that my father and I will be able to figure it out (he's an engineer!) but I sure would feel better if we had someone with experience giving us some pointers. If you're in the Lanier or Allatoona area and would like to help out let me know! Otherwise, the basic prep and steps to raise and lower the mast in as few nautical terms as possible would be greatly appreciated. I realize these boats were made for trailering, so it shouldn't be hard, but it's a little intimidating for someone who has only spent time on kayaks and catamarans. Thanks, and I look forward to becoming one of the "family."
Toby
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22/1980

Hull No. 9635

Hailing Port:
09/07/2005 9:03 AM Pacific Time

I just bought one myself that I am moving to Allatoona. I drove it up from Lake Sinclair and its currently in my driveway. The previous owner walked me through the process of lowering the mast and I would be happy to do the same for you. Send me an e-mail at toby DOT miller AT pobox DOT com.

This might be obvious, bit it wasn't to me so I'll mention it. Make sure you release the keel lock (under the sette seat) before attempting to raise the keel, and lower the keel onto the trailer once you have it out of the water. Don't trailer it with the winch cable supporting the keel, but leave enough tension so that the cable doesn't come off of the winch.
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
09/07/2005 10:08 AM Pacific Time

I'd be happy to help out. I'm on Lanier at the Aqualand Marina. Please contact me via this or on Chips link.
winn

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/08/2005 4:50 AM Pacific Time

andrew

raising and lowering the mast is a one man job if you have a "mastup telescoping mast stepping device" mounted in the gudgeons on the transom. it allows you to easily lower or raise the mast and provides a rest for the mast while trailering. they are available from catalina direct part no. d1651 for $159.95 or you can make one. i made mine from electrical conduit and a few easily made parts. use the search key above and there is a drawing and explanation of how this product works.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/08/2005 5:29 AM Pacific Time

Toby,

I was just wondering who's boat you bought on Sinclair. That is where we sail.

Thanks
greg
Toby
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22/1980

Hull No. 9635

Hailing Port:
09/08/2005 10:15 AM Pacific Time

I bought it from Bill Perry at the Oconee Yacht Club.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/09/2005 5:26 AM Pacific Time

Toby,

I am in the same club as Bill. I know the boat and it is a good one. The best of luck, you will enjoy it.

Greg
Andrew Schmidt
Kennesaw, GA

Boat Name: Peace of Schmidt

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/10/2005 3:59 AM Pacific Time

Thanks guys. I guess I didn't check back quickly enough. We will be moving the boat today! The previous owner is going to help, but he has never done it either haha. I'm pretty confident that we can manage - and thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I actually start sailing!
Paul Moore
Tucker, GA

Boat Name: Me Too

Model/Year: C-22/1987

Hull No. 13376

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
12/13/2005 3:49 PM Pacific Time

Are any of you in the North Georgia area interested in renting out your trailer for some bottom work this winter? Please contact me at albiemoore AT yahoo DOT com. Thanks. Paul
Brian
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Southern Belle

Model/Year: 22/1988

Hull No. 14757

Hailing Port: Atlanta
08/07/2006 8:30 PM Pacific Time

Just wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone in the Lake Lanier area has an extra kick up rudder blade...mine snapped last weekend.

Also, if anyone needs help with borrowing a trailer or stepping a mast, let me know.

Brian
bfasano at yahoo dot com

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / North Georgia C22 Owners