Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Spreader Diameter

Author Spreader Diameter
Bill Robertson
Hixson, TN

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1971

Hull No. 569

Hailing Port: Privateer Yacht Club
09/11/2005 9:05 PM Pacific Time

I have a 71 C22 with the original cast aluminum spreader brackets. I was in the process of replacing the brackets with the new SS version when I discovered that my spreaders are too large to fit inside the new bracket. My old spreaders have a solid aluminum insert that is approximately 20 inches long. it is milled down to a smaller diameter to fit into the old cast aluminum bracket. There is a cotter pin on the bracket through the insert and a second pin on the spreader through the insert holding it all together. I asked a couple of the local C22 guys about this and they have never heard of a different sized spreader. The insert is too small to fit the SS bracket.

Has anyone heard of this type of spreader? Do I have any solution other than buying new spreaders from CD?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/12/2005 5:24 PM Pacific Time

If you ever plan to race or re-sell your boat to a racer, you must have class legal spreaders, so I would go for the CD ones as long as you have already purchased the SS brackets. Good news is I'm looking for a cast iron bracket for a friend who has a broken one but doesn't want to change out to the new ones. If your old ones are for sale at a reasonable price(cheap) then contact me off line at [email protected] or phone 530-470-0511.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Spreader Diameter