Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Sand or Fill ???

Author Sand or Fill ???
David J. Pierce
Sunset, Louisiana

Boat Name: Little Miracles

Model/Year: 1985

Hull No. 12822

Hailing Port: Cypermort Point, Louisiana
01/19/2004 6:00 PM Pacific Time

I am trying to determine the most appropriate repair to make to the hull. I am trying to determine if I need to sand down the existing epoxy bottom coat to expose the original green gelcoat or fill the pecks in the epoxy and add additional layers of epoxy and bottom paint.

It appears someone coated the bottom with epoxy and covered the epoxy with an ablative bottom paint.

It also appears the prior owner left the hull in the water too long and picked up some barnicales. The epoxy coat on the bottom is covered with freckeles where the barnacles were attached. In many places 1/4 inch to half inch diameter round shapped holes are seen in the epoxy exposing the green fiberglass bottom where the pecks have broken free.

I would include photographs but there is no way to paste the photographs in the positing to the forum.

If one of you gu-rus of bottom maintenance are interested, I can send you digital photographs of the bottom.
RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/12/2004 1:54 PM Pacific Time

I would sand it smooth & put the bottom paint on. Least work, least cost. I don't believe that barrier coats work.
Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
09/15/2010 6:05 PM Pacific Time

I realize this post is old but I wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone in the future. I have been doing lots of research for over 6 months on barrior coating. Here is the deal.
Boat poxs, blisters and lots of little dimples (nicks) are all caused by what is bleaved to be water penatrating the Gel, and it mixing with trapped thinner agents that never excaped. The water then mixes with the thinner makes a acid and starts creating gas. If you have this a new bottom is in order due to, what is bleaved to be, the hull haveing a bad layup. Manufactures will usually not help you with this, because no one has yet to prove it is manufacture defects.

Barrior coating only works on a non affected hull. Basicly this barrior is a higher grade of epoxy than that of gel. And, the epoxy has agents in it to create a layered plate type coating. So why gel? Gel coat is used to create a cheap, pretty, easily removed surface from the molds in production. If you have pox you can just keep painting over them but the problem will continue and may grow. Ultimatly you need to remove the affected area usually removeing the gel and replaceing it with your barrior coat. I recomend using a epoxy based barrior coat system. Once you have that faired and smooth now apply a barrior coating paint. Finally, apply your bottom paint for protection and repaint as required per the paint manufacturer.

No matter what, once you have your bottom gel or barrior you still need to keep it treated. Use bottom paint regularly to help seal small unseen cracks. Wax if recomended by your paint manufacturer. There is a reason this long, expensive, and laborous process adds value to your boat.

When all is said and done my hull will have taken me over 6 months to compleat, but that includes top side painting the hull above the water line...

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Sand or Fill ???