Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Removal of mildew from pop top canvas, sails, foul weather gear, etc..

Author Removal of mildew from pop top canvas, sails, foul weather gear, etc..
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
09/19/2005 11:38 PM Pacific Time

Just got back from a cruise in Maine. It was a particularly damp and foggy summer. We developed significant mildew on our vinyl/canvas pop top cover (on the inside canvas surface). Does anyone have any recommendations as to what it would be safe to soak the material in to eliminate the mildew without harming the fabric or the vinyl windows? Are there any suggestions as to what is safe to use on sails and foul weather gear to also eliminate mildew?
Thanks for your input. Philip & Sharon "Swizzle Stick"
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
09/21/2005 3:24 AM Pacific Time

I use a product called Super iron out rust and stain remover Its a diamond crystal product.
It is not compatable with bleach or peroxide
its in power form you dont need much and it can be mixed to any application. Buy it in any supermarket and follow directions

Uwe
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
09/21/2005 10:17 PM Pacific Time

try using the sudsy lemon scented amonia in a dilluted mixture.
Hobie Davidson
Titusville, Fl.

Boat Name: For Sail

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 6993

Hailing Port: Titusville
09/21/2005 10:29 PM Pacific Time

Phillip,
I cleaned my sails with acetone rinsing them immediately with soap & water. Then drying them in the sun. Everyone said it was a no no but I couldn't get the stains out any other way. It worked for me and that was two years ago.
Hobie

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Removal of mildew from pop top canvas, sails, foul weather gear, etc..