Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Best Known Method for Electricals

Author Best Known Method for Electricals
Shayne
Austin, Texas

Boat Name: Conchita

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Austin
09/21/2005 6:10 AM Pacific Time

i have a C-25 (1982). the battery charges off the outboard as well as a battery charger hard wired into the shore 110V electrical circuit. i would like to suppliment the battery charging with a solar panel for overnight stays not at a dock. my question is how to make all three of these charging systems work together and not damage anything. my battery charger failed and i want to do this only once more in my life.
Dan McIndoo
Lawtons, NY

Boat Name: Perfect Day

Model/Year: '85 Catalina 25 FK

Hull No. 4870

Hailing Port: Buffalo, Lake Erie
09/22/2005 6:52 PM Pacific Time

You should buy the voltage regulator recommended for the solar panels so you don't fry the batteries. There were some good logs on the C25/250 sailors forum about that.
Tim Foster
Southlake, TX

Boat Name: Seabiscuit

Model/Year: Cat 22

Hull No. 7677

Hailing Port: Grapevine Lake
09/24/2005 2:05 PM Pacific Time

For trickle charging of a battery do you need anything special. I just saw West Marine has a trickle charge solar panel for about $26. I am wondering if that would be all you need to keep the battery charged? Or is there something extra you have to purchase. I just need something to keep it topped off inbetween uses.

Thanks

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/25/2005 1:42 AM Pacific Time

Just keep in mind that a shadow on the solar panel will keep it from working. All the cells are in series and a shadow on one cell will stop the whole string.
Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/26/2005 5:10 AM Pacific Time

I installed a small solar panel and controller last year aboard Chip Ahoy. It's outboard also has an alternator that charges the (dual) batteries when it's running. I keep the boat on a mooring and have never had a problem using the motor's electric starter.

See:
http://www.chipford.com/solar_panel.htm
http://www.chipford.com/second_battery.htm

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Best Known Method for Electricals