Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / CD Keel Bolt Kit

Author CD Keel Bolt Kit
John Salley
Ashland, Virginia

Boat Name: Nancy Ann

Model/Year: 1980 C-25

Hull No. 2065

Hailing Port: Deltaville, VA
09/21/2005 5:29 PM Pacific Time

Anyone have any experience installing the SS replacement keel bolt kit offered by CD? My 1980 C-25 needs to have the kit installed due to extensive rusting of the original bolts. Is this a job that can be tackled by a reasonably skilled do-it-yourselfer, or is it best left to the yard? My greatest concern is drilling and tapping the new "sister" holes in the cast iron keel. Also, I'm assuming that this can be done without dropping the keel, given that there are no apparent leaks and the keel is externally in good shape and well faired.
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/22/2005 6:57 AM Pacific Time

I replaced the keel hanger bolts in my '82 C22 but didn't have to do any drilling on the keel. Are the hanger bolts the ones you are talking about?? Also, it's possible that the hangers/attachment changed from your year to mine so I can't comment on that.

If you are talking about the keel hanger bolt kit from CD - yes I installed it (I also replaced my keel pin at the same time so I did drop my keel). If you are only replacing the hanger bolts you do not need to drop the keel - just replace one bolt at a time. However, as long as you are doing that are you sure the keel pin is in good shape? My personal thought was that I didn't know the condition of the keel pin and didn't want a 500 LB anchor so I check all of it out. In my case the keel pin was in good shape but I replaced it anyway.

Finally, this can all be done by someone reasonably handy but I would suggest getting a buddy to help you just in case. Also, I wold suggest using a torque wrench. Everybody is pretty specific that you don't want to torque the bolt heads over 30 lbs. I didn't use one initally but will from now on as I've gotten paranoid about that. There are a ton of links, tips and help sheets on jacking your boat and pulling the bolts and pins.

Good luck,

John
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/22/2005 6:59 AM Pacific Time

John,

Just noticed that you have a C25. Disregard everything I posted earlier, it only applies to the C22. Sorry for the confusion.

John

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / CD Keel Bolt Kit