Electronics

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Navman 2100 Speed Transom Mount Transducer

Author Navman 2100 Speed Transom Mount Transducer
Jack
Virginia

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/26/2005 4:58 PM Pacific Time

Pardon me if this is obvious but, I have a question regarding the best way to mount the paddlewheel. The instructions in the packaging are very detailed, but are for the through hull model(???). How deep should the paddlewheel be for the best accuracy? If I put the bottom of the sensor flush with the bottom of the hull, then about 1/8" would be in the water.
Thanks,
Jack Heisler
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
09/27/2005 4:48 AM Pacific Time

I just went through this and discovered many "gotchas" on this project. First, I mounted mine off-center w/about 1/4" to 1/2" under water. Of course, once I'm running with the wind over the beam on the starboard side I've got no depth readings! Running with the wind aft or over the port side I'm fine. I even have this problem if two+ adults are on the port side. In addition, I found that even moderate sloshing of water at the stern can cause problems with sporadic readings.

My suggestion is to wait until you've go the boat out for the winter, then mount the transducer as close to the tiller/centerline as you can w/about 1" under water. I know that this doesn't match the mfgr's instructions but I think the degradation in accuracy is well worth it.

Electronics
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electronics / Navman 2100 Speed Transom Mount Transducer