Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Inspect/Replace Stays

Author Inspect/Replace Stays
Bill Harrington
Miami, Florida

Boat Name: Runaway

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Miami
09/27/2005 8:03 AM Pacific Time

I would like to know if there is a "rule of thumb" for replacing cable stays.

I have just acquired my C-22 (it's been sitting around for awhile), and I am concerned about the cable rigging.

The previous owner has told me that the cables could deteriorate inside of the swaged fittings. This would make it difficult to inspect. Thank You.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
09/27/2005 10:00 AM Pacific Time

I believe the rule of thumb is 10yrs for fresh water and 7 yrs for salt. I just finished replacing mine. Easy job. My only complaint from the CD kit was the clevis pins for the mast head truck were not included. I had to by them locally and could not find 3/4" so I had to use 1" pins.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
09/28/2005 6:16 AM Pacific Time

Until I joined this chat room, I had never heard of replacing stays at a time interval, only if they have a broken strand. On #6448 I have found seperation of the strands, that is a space between, but not missing any of the seven, six outside and one inside.
Also, I have heard of people changing out 19 strand wire rope because it develops 'meat hooks', this again can be taken care of by using the back of a knife blade, and rubbing it back and forth over the barb, SS has the property of 'work hardening', and it breaks off below the surface. I and my old big boat friends have used that technique for years. Recognize that the working load is, or should be, only about 25% of the ultimate load the cables are able to stand, so a few 'meat hooks' or even a broken strand in a 7 strand standing rigging, is not indicative of an accident about to happen. Take your time, it is expensive, and it's failure is not all that eminate, at least in my opinion.
Al Ge
jeff lusareta
Alameda, Calif

Boat Name: " Odyssey ll " (Odyssey two)

Model/Year: 1977 Catalina 27'

Hull No. 3317

Hailing Port: Berkeley, California, SF BayArea
09/29/2005 12:57 PM Pacific Time

Nothing is worse than loosing your mast/rigging, sails to a failed stay. I know, I have been there.
One question: Is it worth the gamble?
I played the waiting game and lost. Fortunately no one was hurt, except my ego. Also, the replacement for a new mast is not worth the gamble.
If you have ANY hint of your stays looking old, or frayed...then the time has come to replace. Period.
If in doubt, ask more than one rigging shop what there
professional opinion.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

09/30/2005 4:36 AM Pacific Time

I agree, after re-reading my post I forgot to say that if a strand is broken, I would replace the stay. I lost an upper spreader deck fitting, some how we did not loose the mast, only the race. I won't be as lucky next time. My point is that replacement just on a time of use basis is not neccessary in my opinion.
Al Ge
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/30/2005 5:33 AM Pacific Time

Hi Al - Before I lost my mast on my 76, I might have agreed with you. Now I do not. I had an upper break about six inches below the masthead. There was no apparent reason until we examined the wire under a microscope. Apparently the inner core appeared to have been butt welded at that point. When the bad weld failed, the outer wires could not hold the load. I raced the boat and the rigging was about ten years old at the time. After much discussion with other owners and a contact or two at the factory, I came to the conclusion that all my wires should be replaced at five years, regardless of their apparent condition. It is cheap insurance.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Hull No. 6448

10/01/2005 5:17 AM Pacific Time

Dick, I guess you have a reason to be cautious. I bought my 35' TORCH with a broken mast and repaired it. Then because I didn't want a non-SS fitting and wanted to sail, I broke it again when I relaxed after a race and let it get loaded. Bought a new extrusion and put it together. We broke it twice more when fittings broke. The last time we were ready to move and I didn't fix it. However, even on this boat #6448 I had a fitting break but never a wire. I respect your experiences, but as you can see mine are different. I guess I'm cheap when it comes to insurance.
Regards, Al Ge
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
10/01/2005 6:39 PM Pacific Time

Is it common for wire manufacturers to butt weld wire in that fashion?? I would have thought that they used 500 foot spools or longer and wrapped them all at one time then started on a new run when they ran out of the first spool if you get my meaning. I wouldn't have expected for them to patch it together like that - unless somebody other than the manufacturer had done it??!!??

John

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Inspect/Replace Stays