Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Max number of folks on board??

Author Max number of folks on board??
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/29/2005 7:12 PM Pacific Time

This may seem silly, but what is the safe limit for the number of folks you could have on board?? My teen son wants to have a birthday party on board for his friends and he gave me a list of 6 or 7. Counting me and him that would make 8 to 9. So what is the limit???
Raymond
Canberra

Boat Name: Heat Wave

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/29/2005 11:25 PM Pacific Time

In my humble view, it depends on the weather, wind, and sea state - and what you intend to do.

Six should not be a problem if you can control them, the weather is OK, and you do not go far from the shore..

Are they experienced sailors?

Have you enough life jackets?

You need to define "teenage"

Presumably no alcohol is involved?

What about insurance?

Would you like to explain to a parent that number one son hit is head on the boom,smashed his spectacles, and fell overboard?

I do not want to be pessimistic, but one does need to be realistic.

Ray
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/30/2005 5:39 AM Pacific Time

I once took my wife and son , one of our friends and two of his to a 4th o July fireworks show. The boat felt very crowded. We race with three adults onboard, including myself. I would not want anymore.

Have the party on land.
Bob Rayner
Sidney,B.C.

Boat Name: Pooh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 ( swing keel)

Hull No. 5370

Hailing Port: Sidney, BC, Canada
09/30/2005 9:25 AM Pacific Time

A sure sign of too many people onboard is when you are still tied to the dock and water comes into the cockpit through the drain holes.
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
09/30/2005 12:58 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the input. I was figuring that 8 was WAY TOO MANY!! In the pictures of others sailing on their C22 you only see 2 or 3 and I was trying to get a feel for the max.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably redirect him to another choice but this also lets me know what we could do with other couples and kids.

John
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
09/30/2005 1:55 PM Pacific Time

You can have a pretty good party for teens without "going sailing". Could be they'd be happy to motor out a bit, toss the hook and just be teenagers!
Leslie Strom
Everett, WA

Boat Name: Seabisque

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No. 3671

Hailing Port: Everett
10/01/2005 12:21 AM Pacific Time

(This is from memory but the equation for legal boat capacity is:)

Length x beam / 150 =

22 x 8 = 176 / 15 = 11 passengers assuming they weigh 150 pounds each.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
10/01/2005 5:44 AM Pacific Time

I have had a max of 7 people, 3children ages 7 to 15 with live vest and tether and 4 adults All visiting for 2 day s and wanting to go sealing The Saturday cruse was fine with light to moderate winds jib sail and the main a bit further out than normal It was a good sail and very stable.
Sunday was a different story, same situation we left with moderate steady winds 10knots, about 1 hour out it really picked up within 10 minutes we had 22knot winds 1 foot waves with white caps and all those people. I was not comfortable. We rolled the jib in half way and reefed the main I put 2 adults in the cabin along with one child. I was still leaning 10 to 12 degree but things were a bit more stable and under control. What I am saying safety is always better than hindsight. And everyone had a good time, and no one really realized that the hair on the back of my neck was standing up for a short time. I love my guests from NY
Specially when there not sealers.

Uwe

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Max number of folks on board??