Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Winter Storage

Author Winter Storage
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
10/02/2005 6:18 AM Pacific Time

I am going to have my 22 hauled for the first time in two weeks. I am planning on setting it on boat jack but was wondering what i should do with the keel ? Let it down on a wood platform ? ALso do i need wooden blocks under the boat for support ? Thanks Keith
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
10/03/2005 3:46 AM Pacific Time

You don't mention how many boat jacks. If you use too few the high pressure on those may deform the hull. Take a look inside the bilge. There are two stringers glassed into the hull to support it as it sits on a bunk trailer. If the jack pads line up with these stringers AND there no hull deformation as the weight is transfered to them, you should be OK. Letting the keel down to a platform on the ground will help take weight off of the hull. It will also allow you t paint most of it come spring refit time.
Keith Gattozzi
Dennis MA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1977 22 Catalina

Hull No.

Hailing Port: West Dennis MA
10/03/2005 6:17 PM Pacific Time

Dick Thanks for the response. I have 6 jack stands to use. Where should i place then in front ?

Thanks

Keith
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
10/04/2005 2:57 PM Pacific Time

Keith - CD has a keel refinishing video (http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=4174) that show's you how to jack the boat in front of the swing keel and laterally across the stern with a 4x4 with some 2x6 spacers to balace the hull. Level surface makes your job easier. I'd see if you can't get some used hull support stands versus (automobile) jack stands as they probably can't replicate the angle of the hull.
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
10/04/2005 2:58 PM Pacific Time

Founds some: http://www.hostarmarine.com/stands/stand-price_copy(2).htm

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Winter Storage