Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Transatlantic crossing

Author Transatlantic crossing
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
01/20/2004 8:34 AM Pacific Time

Have you, or anyone you have heard of, made a transAtlantic crossing in a C22? Just curious.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/21/2004 8:00 AM Pacific Time

I would not try that for anything with due to the deck mounted mast and light rigging of a C-22.
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
04/11/2005 10:05 AM Pacific Time

I tried to cross the Chesapeake yesterday. Had to turn back when the waves got over 4 feet. Cross the Atlantic, that's a good one.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
04/14/2005 6:29 AM Pacific Time

Don, I have not heard of someone making the trip in a C-22 but as "Micro Yachts" go, Gerry Spiess in Yankee Girl made the trip in 54 days in 1979. Yankee Girl was 10 feet long.

Peter
Tim Seifert

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

04/15/2005 5:18 AM Pacific Time

IF you wanted to do something like cross the Atlantic, what modifications would you make to your C22 to make it more seaworthy? For example, one obvious modification would be to thicken the pop-up (in the event of those big waves).
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
04/15/2005 6:50 AM Pacific Time

First I would only consider one of the fix keel boats, like the wing of the fin keel model, thicken the pop-up then bolt it shut and fiberglass it in place would be a good start… I would replace the screws holding the deck to the hull with bolts, I would add to the cockpit locker hatches that have access to the inside of the boat dogs to prevent it from opening under heavy seas, I would build a new locker in the rear part of the cockpit to minimize the amount of water that the cockpit can hold, also blot the lower most main hatch board to it’s track to prevent water entering the cockpit from entering the cabin. Add removable pins to the remaining boards. Add bigger scuppers to help drain the water faster from the cockpit. The trick is preventing any water from entering the inside of the hull. I would upgrade the rudder hardware and reinforce all the deck hardware with backing plates and bolts rather than screws. Add anchoring points for tether lines. I would remove all of the rigging, mast and replace it (re-engineer it) with rigging/mast that can withstand the punishment that heavy winds and seas can dish out... a good rigging shop can do that for you (probably 3/16” cables and hardware) and a new mast, probably keel stepped. And the inside of the cabin… ah… just gut it and start over again. Re-design it to be friendlier for a crew of one or two with a better galley, marine head and sleeping quarters. Finally, think “up side down…” what you would want to do to your boat to make it survive a roll.

The truth is that even though I love the Catalina 22, and the boat is brilliant at what it was designed to do, you’d be better off modifying another boat for the same purpose. Look at the “Falmouth Cutter 22'” for a clue of what you may have to do, The “FLICKA” and the “Pacific Seacraft - Dana 24” are also good choices. By the time you make all of these upgrades you would have a one of a kind boat that is as expensive as one of these other small blue water boats.

Alternatively, if you have brass balls and you believe that mother luck smiles upon you, buy your food, bring plenty of water, and set sail for the horizon and just do it, hope for the best. (Heck, a Styrofoam carton of eggs would make it across the Atlantic.) Many small boat passages have been documented by their crews in boats that where less capable than the Catalina 22 and they made it… one comes to mind where a man who sailed from Australia to the US in a small open cockpit daysailer, he used nothing but charts from the library that he hand copied and made his on sextant out of wood… when he arrived foreign lands he had a passport he made himself and local officials where so amused they granted him passages into their countries all the way till he arrived the US (San Diego) where a custom official barred him from entering the US… (You’ve gotta love this country!) but I’m sure there are many occasions where sailors ventured into open water that never came back and where heard of again… To make a trip like that, you are betting ALL! – No regrets! - Frank
Tim Seifert

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

04/17/2005 2:03 PM Pacific Time

Some very interesting ideas here, and some of them are very useful to do anyway. I sail in a bay off the North Atlantic, and heavy winds are always a concern. Some of these are upgrades I plan to do. But I think that if I wanted to go offshore, the C22 is probably not the boat to use.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
01/10/2006 7:03 AM Pacific Time

Could not resist this thread .......

Two months ago as I was preparing to dingy out to Blu Notes, I met a gentleman on the way in from his boat. We got to talking and I ended up buying him breakfast.

He has been sailing his 27ft. for the past 18 years and has made 2 1/2 circumnavagations! His boat has a deck mounted mast just as our Cat22's and he has been through severe lightning storms and other "challenges" that seem (IMHO) foolhardy for a boat that size.

I learned a lot from him. He had a nav system I had never seen, his laptop communicating with a bluetooth GPS unit and a "auto helm". He said he regularily sleeps while under sail. Don't know if I could get used to that.

Should I ever get to "retire", I plan to do some extended crising and I would think that a strong steel hull fin keel boat that can be "locked up" tight in a big storm would be the way to go.
J.A. Smith
Newport News, VA

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: Swing Keel 1974

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Merrimac Shore Yacht Basin, VA
01/11/2006 12:41 AM Pacific Time

here's a detailed description of a 2002 crossing from the u.s. to hawaii in a 19ft potter;

http://potter-yachters.org/stories/teplow_to_hawaii.htm

lots of prep but almost uneventful.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
01/11/2006 5:40 AM Pacific Time

You mention the most dangerous part of such a trip, IMHO. "he regularily sleeps while under sail."

Some acquaintances of a friend who circumnavigated were run over by a container ship in the middle of the night in the South Pacific. Their young Son went down in seconds with the v-birth. Her other kid and Husband slipped off the debris they were clinging to and disappeared a few nights later. She was found washed up on a beach and survived.

IRRC, Issabelle Austissier lost two keels in the middle of the night.

I guess if you get run over while asleep, you don't have time to get too upset.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/11/2006 5:52 AM Pacific Time

If you get a chance go to this webb site; www.clevelandmemory.org/ebooks/tinkerbelle/

The entire book is online free. If you recall Tinkerbelle was a 13 1/2 boat that did a transatlantic crossing.
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
01/11/2006 6:44 AM Pacific Time

Bob, I agree with you and read that story also. The wife was on watch (at night) and took just a few moments to get something from the cabin when it all happened. The container ship even did a 180, returning to check things out but then left. Goes to show you hat bad things can happen even when you are prepared and responsible.

The gentleman I spoke with said he had no problems while sleeping under sail as long as you stay out of the shipping lanes. I could not do it.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/12/2006 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Even with two crew on watch we had a close one on the Oakland to Avalon Race. We were in fog, and almost ran into the side of a freighter or tanker. Just saw the bow light and one running light.
Al Ge

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Transatlantic crossing