Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Make your own keel pin gasket .....

Author Make your own keel pin gasket .....
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
10/07/2005 11:36 AM Pacific Time

Got the new keel castings and pin installed, but those white washers were just too thick and I did not want to machine down the castings that much.

I had about 1/16th of an inch play and the keel still wiggled a bit so I got some JB Weld and a plastic bag and used them to make my own gasket. The jb weld worked perfectly, I just used wax paper between the keel and castings prior to applying the weld to the castings.
It is a tight fit now and no more keel waggle.
John Haggis
Victoria BC

Boat Name: Windfall

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1973

Hull No. 2934

Hailing Port: Victoria BC
10/08/2005 8:37 AM Pacific Time

what is JB Weld?
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
10/08/2005 8:49 AM Pacific Time

It is perhaps the greatest thing for backyard mechanics.

It is an epoxy mix similar to marinetex but much stronger.
Here is a link to their site....
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Note the adhesion and tensile strength properties. This is strong stuff. They also make a putty that hardens much faster for marine applications.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
10/09/2005 9:14 AM Pacific Time

When I reprimed and faired my keel I added some cotton cloth set in epoxy paint at the top of the keel where it pivots up into the hull trunk. It made the keel nice and snug when it's down, and it doesn't wiggle much when it's up either.

My castings and pin were tight, and the Stainless Steel bushing had been added but the iron hole in the keel was enlarged.

After lots of consultation with this list, I used grey Marine Tex to fill around the bushing, and faired it back on the surface of the keel. So far, so good.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Make your own keel pin gasket .....