Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Retrieving without getting wet

Author Retrieving without getting wet
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
10/23/2005 8:05 PM Pacific Time

Is it possible to retrailer your boat without getting wet. In other words, you go to put your boat back on the trailer after a wonderful afternoon of sailing, you leave it at the dock, back your trailer into the water, pull your boat toward the trailer, then wade in knee deep or deeper to line it up and get it settled on the bunks.

The adrmiral keeps insisting I motor onto the trailer but I have a 3.5 HP without a reverse (unless you count a 360 degree turn of the shaft).

What do y'all do??

John
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
10/24/2005 2:57 AM Pacific Time

I built V out of pcv pipe and used it as a keel guide
motor right in and it centers itself leave the keel down about 4 inches

Uwe
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/24/2005 7:36 AM Pacific Time

That 'Vee' that Uwe is talking about can be seen at http://www.fleet47.com/ . I use a variation of that. A trailer that came with #501 had an angle iron version, so I sort of lined it with a 2x12 with a curve that makes it sharper in the last few inches. Note that it takes effect as the boat is hauled out, the trailer raises up to engage the keel and it floats into position. I crawl out of the back of my van to attach the bow cable. Seldom get my feet wet, only when I slip.
Al Ge
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
10/24/2005 8:08 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the help. I will definitely work on that this winter. Looks like it will really help.

Thanks,

John

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Retrieving without getting wet