Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C22 boat purchase

Author New C22 boat purchase
Rockhound76
Conroe, Texas

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: N/A

Hull No. N/A

Hailing Port: Conroe
11/04/2005 8:00 AM Pacific Time

I've been looking into getting a boat to introduce my boys (8 and 12) to sailing. After briefly considering and discarding planing dinghies and catamarans, I settled on the C22. It has a porta-pottie to keep mom happy, a little cabin to get out of the weather if necessary and a strong one design fleet to race in once we learn to sail it (I used to sail 20yrs ago, and learned by racing one tonners). Plus, it doesn't cost near what comparable boats might cost me (I'm cheap).

I've looked at both used and new boats and think I might go the new "22 sport" route. The boat I'm looking at is "bare" stock from the factory.

Here's my question: What equipment purchases do I need to consider in estimating what this boat will cost me to make sail ready? I'm thinking of setting it up to be race-ready, and legal, but not extreme.

So far, I know about the basic safety gear I need to be coast guard compliant, but what other stuff would you folks recommend for a first time boat owner? Some stuff I k now about, but I don't know specifics?
Motor (HP, 4str)?
Whisker pole (carbon, al)?
Sails (North, or Quantum or what)?
relocate or add winches (is it necessary to allow trimming from the high side)?
Compass (type and location)
Rescue Ring (is lifesling okay?)
Radio (portable)?
What else (this might get expensive)?

Thanks for answering such a dumb question.
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
11/04/2005 8:16 AM Pacific Time

My suggestion, as a fellow cheapster, is to buy a used Catalina. Sailboats seem to depreciate obscenely. Although I am not sure what a new one costs, you can pick up a good, serviceable used one for probably $2,000 to 5,000. For example, I have a 1986 in very serviceable shape that I paid $3,000 for, including the motor (9.9 Evinrude) and the trailer.

I probably spent another $1,000 or so in parts to replace the worst of the parts on my boat (e.g. Keel painted and a new mainsail), and also spend probably another $500- $1,000 per year on maintenace items such as new standing rigging, etc)

One suggestion that I have if you wish to keep your sons interest up is to buy a strong motor, such as the 9.9 that I have.

My kids (about the same age when I bought the boat) often get bored with sailing. To entertain them, I bought a pair of cheap River Rat tubes at Wal-Mart, and tow them under power behind the boat.

Serious racers will declare me nuts for burdening the boat with a relatively heavy outboard, but my kids have fun and that is more important for me and the way I use my boat.

Just my 2 cents.

Vic
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
11/05/2005 6:20 AM Pacific Time

There are two schools of thought regarding purchasing Catalina 22s. One is buy a used one and spend less money up front. The other is spend more money up front and buy a new one. In either case it is "Pay me now or pay me later"

I have done both. I suspect the bill comes out about the same. The main difference is that with a new boat, you can be sailing the day of deliver, instead of making time consuming changes and repairs to the old boat.

I really like my new Sport. It is delivered as a very basic boat. No sails, no trailer and no added equipment. You can see photos a Sport and of my modifications to make it into a racing machine at http://tinyurl.com/btmzp.

Some costs to consider in no particular order. Unlike some folks, I just beat my Mastercard to death and pay the bill when it comes in.
Split Backstay Modification
Consider roller furling, unless you or one of your family is agile on the foredeck. NOTE: If you plan to race the boat, avoid it.
Sails- Jib, genoa and mainsail Used, until you get serious or can afford new ones. GUS Sails makes very good sails at affordable prices.
Porti Pottie and privacy curtain.
Trailer (used ones are hard to find)
Tow vehicle (if you plan to trailer sail it.)
Outboard motor - 6Hp long shaft Nissan (4 stroke if required by environmental laws where your are)
Whisker pole - Forespar (6-12 two inch)
Winchs - Self Tailers are standard equipment but are too large to relocate to the cabin top. I sold mine and got Lewmar 7s for the cabin top.
Compass- I especially like the Plastimo Contest 101 Tactical.
Rescue Ring (is lifesling okay?) -How about good self infating life jackets and a throw pillow or two?
Radio (portable)? Yes West Marine has some good sales now and then.
What else (this might get expensive)? Check the address above. Send me your email address and I will send you my phone number offline. Romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth dot net.

Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
11/06/2005 4:51 AM Pacific Time

Dick
Iv never bought a new sailboat but i noticed in your entry a new boat with no sails. Is that the norm?
Seems like buying a new car with no tires or a motor boat with no motor

Just a thought
Uwe
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/06/2005 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Dick, even with a new boat, that was stripped, I suppose to save cost, and then you buy everything else. I think that you just like to fix and fuss over a boat like I do. As for racing the new sport. There were two at FW Boat Club, one was well sailed and contended for first, the other was new and contended with us to stay out of last, of ten boats. I sail inthe middle to lower part of a hot fleet, like at nationals, and warmups like the one above, no matter if I was sailing, #11660, #501, or my lastest #6448. My point is that it is the sailor more than the boat. And the more intelligent fusssing you do to and with your boat the better your racing results, and or cruising. To me it is a way of life, sure I like to win, but I'm not going to stop because I am not doing well as of now.
The point Dick, is that you just like boating, I admire that.
Al Ge
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
11/06/2005 5:33 PM Pacific Time

I am of the "New Boat" school of thought if you are relatively new to boats. You don't want to inherit a lot of problems right off the bat --- you want to go sailing. I purchased a new C22 fifteen years ago with all the extras and have never regretted it. Now that I am more experienced there is a chance that I would consider a used boat however I still like the idea of knowing exactly what I am getting. As far as extra equipment: 1) Selftailing winches for the head sails, 2) A boarding ladder mounted on the stern, and 3) Two sets of reef points in the mainsail. I would not own a boat that did not have these features. Be sure to take your kids on cruises with other boats that have kids also. With little effort they will soon become sailors without even knowing it and have fun too. If you think you will be trailering the boat any distance get a tandem axle trailer.
Rockhound76
Conroe, Texas

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: N/A

Hull No. N/A

Hailing Port: Conroe
11/07/2005 8:12 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all the great advice. I loved the photos of the boat mod project, and they already got me thinking about how I might mod my own boat (later).

I am still leaning toward getting the "new" C22 sport as opposed to the admittedly more efficient option of going used. The reasoning is complex, but I don't think I'll regret getting a new boat (having helped a friend rebuild and then campaign a Ranger 37 many years ago, I know about working on boats. I simply don't have time to do that now.)

We currently sail as members of a charter club, but I'm tired of having to handle 35' boats with little help from the family. The big boat sheets, halyards and winches are a bit much for the kids and my wife has limited mobility, so the C22 is a logical choice to used as a teaching platform.

Plus, I feel a little silly daysailing a mid size boat that has amenities we never use. Buying something that big doesn't make sense for us right now.

Racing may come later, depending on how the kids take to being active members of the crew. I want to keep the boat as legal for One Design as practical, so future mods to race it will be minimal.

My wife and I looked at the C22 Sport on Saturday. It was fresh in for a boat show that was canceled due to Rita, and was still not completely set up. The mast was up and that was about it.

I liked the layout and the size is about right for the family to daysail. The trailer looked pretty good and a mast carrier and canvas package was priced with the boat. It was equipped with self-tailing winches--and pretty much nothing else.

Apparently, a local sailmaker, Quantum, has cut a set of OD dacron sails for this boat and I'm now waiting on his price.

Now, I need some advice on specific items.

Should I ask for the "Catalina" boarding ladder or mount my own? I consider a ladder essential safety equipment (from my experiences racing offshore).

Split backstay? I don't care much for the backstay arrangement, but is an adjustable split backstay a good option? I'd rather have that done by the dealer than try to swage a bridle by myself.

If I add my own porta-pottie, can I easily buy the track to mount the curtain?

Thanks again!
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/07/2005 8:55 AM Pacific Time

Buy the Catalina boarding ladder. It is an excellent product which I also consider a safety as well as fun item. It is also very useful to have when you have to push your kicked up rudder back down. It can be great fun for the kids to drag in the water off the ladder on hot days.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

11/07/2005 8:58 AM Pacific Time

If you are going to be setting up your mast often I recommend the purchase of a "Mast Up" mast support after you get your boat. It makes life a lot easier.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New C22 boat purchase