Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / LED bulbs & lamps

Author LED bulbs & lamps
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
11/09/2005 4:27 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a LED flashlight and am amazed by how much light it puts out. Have been told that LED's draw 1/10th of the amount of power that a regular bulb does.

Just this weekend I saw a LED bulb that cross refrences to a auto 1157 bulb.

Are there any sources out there for LED bulb conversions for our CAT 22's?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
11/09/2005 5:46 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct has a halogen converion kit for the cabin lights that draws 1/3 the amps of the standard bulbs (Item D1862 $27.95 in 2005).

I Googled "Festoon LED Bulb" and got many hits. The best was www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
They had many bulbs, but all the LEDs shine in the same direction with a 30 degree light angle and are not suitable for 360 degree applications. They are about $3 each for white. I'm not sure how bright they are. Be careful if you are considering replacing navigation lights, as you would be liable if the lights do not meet Coast Guard standards.
John Connor
Little Rock, AR

Boat Name: Weekender

Model/Year: C22 1982

Hull No. 11192

Hailing Port: Little Rock, Arkansas
11/10/2005 12:32 PM Pacific Time

There was a big discussion on Chip Ford's e-mail list about this issue. Perhaps some of those guys remember the recommendations. I'm at my other computer now or would have it - sorry.

John
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
11/10/2005 5:02 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the advice. I am running even brighter lights than are required for my nav lights and perhaps that's why my battery gets sucked down so much.

The halogens look like a good option but I am convinced that LED's are the bulb of the future, they draw so little amps.

For now I will get a solar charger and run what I have but I will surely switch bulb types when I find the best. I bought a marine application LED light bar at WalMart and tried it out as a replacement for the cabin lights. It did not put out nearly enough light. I will keep trying and of course, learn from you folks, thanks.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
11/11/2005 6:07 AM Pacific Time

George, for cabin lightening, you can't beat the small 12 inch flourscents. Low power consumption and good lightening.
Alan
Troy, Ohio

Boat Name: "Leprechaun"

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 25

Hull No. #5612

Hailing Port:
02/02/2006 8:38 AM Pacific Time

I am replacing my high voltage lights with LED lights .. I bought one from Defender last year-cost approx.$50.00..This year I found out about a supplier..www.lostbwana.com 1.888.320.1161 ask for Steve, I bought 3 red/white light combination LED lights for $80.00.. the lights are made by www.seasense.com but they cannot sell directly.. Steve was very friendly and helpful
toby
austin Tx.

Boat Name: wind&wave

Model/Year: 74

Hull No. 680

Hailing Port: cypress creek marina, lake travis
03/14/2006 9:20 PM Pacific Time

avast ye on ebay there are site's that have import unit's from asia and e.u. port's
also a great story in 03-06 "sail" mag. but the one's in thar cost many dabloone's
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
04/17/2008 5:45 AM Pacific Time

As an update to the LED bulbs.
I have updated most of my running/anchor lights with DR. LED bulbs.
I feel that they will use far less battery than the old filament bulbs.
My '87 C22 uses the Aqua Signal 25 series of lights so the type of "bulb" led replacement is Polar Star 25 from that company.
http://www.doctorled.com/p22.htm

For the bi-color bow light, use the bi-color bulb. Same price.

They fit but they are a bit tight. The brightness is good on these and they tried to make the LED array fairly omnidirectional.
They are gradually coming down in price. The first ones were $49.
one source:
http://shop.catalinaowners.com/detail.htm?fno=20&group=851

Here may be another source for some of the other bulbs:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Looks like an interesting company and reasonable prices but I have not used them.

Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/17/2009 8:36 PM Pacific Time

I too was thinking of replacing my navigation lights with the Dr. LED replacement bulbs, but then did a little googling and saw that it is only their Polar Star 40 LED product that is Coast Guard certified - apparently, the replacement bulbs for the Aqua Series 25 (Polar Star 25 or the Festoon LEDs) which I would need on my Catalina 22 are not.

While the low current draw is very appealing, there is real concern regarding potential liability if there was a nighttime accident with an uncertified aftermarket LED.

If someone has info that the Dr. LED (or any other manufacturer) replacement LEDs for the Aqua Signal 25 fixtures are indeed certified by the USCG, please share. Otherwise, I unfortunately am going to wait.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / LED bulbs & lamps