Anchoring

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Anchors

Author Anchors
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
01/21/2004 11:13 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone tried the new (to the USA) spade style anchors?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/27/2004 7:57 AM Pacific Time

Let me say first off that I am a firm believer in Delta anchors!!! They work wonderfully well in a variety of anchoring situations. I have a 14 pounder in my bow anchor locker and a 22 pounder as a second extra anchor which is used often (I don't like to worry in the middle of the night). However, I am going to the Bahamas (during Hurricane season) and wanted a back up storm anchor for the "just in case". I was interested in the Spade Anchor for several reasons: It is rated as excellent by Practical Sailor; It is fairly large anchor yet it disassembles into two separate pieces for easy storing (this is what I am most interested in); It is said to penetrate well and have excellent holding. I have not purchased one yet but it is likely that I will. I was looking for people who already had experience with them. If I get one I will report on their effectiveness when I return from the Bahamas in August.
Thanks, Philip & Sharon Merlier
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

03/27/2004 7:58 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to mention that Spade anchors can be bought at any Marine outlet and also on the computer.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/05/2004 10:55 PM Pacific Time

Bob:

It's decided. I will be buying a Spade anchor. I have heard nothing but positive information about them.

Yes we are spending June & July in the Bahamas on our C22. We are going alone. Of course there is a certain amount of risk to anything we do but I hope to minimize it with lots of research, planning, and the proper gear.

As far as meeting, you are best to contact me at: [email protected]. We do not hang out by the phone.

Philip & Sharon

Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
04/06/2004 3:31 PM Pacific Time

Hey Philip, if Robin Knox could sail a 24 footer around the world, the Bahamas should be in reach. Are you going to post your adventures?
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/06/2004 11:57 PM Pacific Time

Dick:
Thanks for your reassurance. I know of a couple of C22 owners and also a couple of "trailer/sailors" who have gone to the Bahamas each several times so I know it is feasible as long as bad luck doesn't strike. I will provide and update and post cruising information about the area when I return.
Philip
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

04/16/2004 12:31 AM Pacific Time

Bob: Sorry I did't get back to you sooner. I don't seem to get all the messages that are posted each day on the forum.
Thanks for your concerns about our planned adventures.
I would consider selling my Achilles inflatable since I have not use for it.
Update on Spade anchors: I don't plan on getting one after all. As it turns out the size that I thought would be appropriate for use as a storm anchor would be too heavy for a C22 (30 or 32 pounds). They make the same size in aluminum alloy which weighs much less but I have found from experience that large light weight anchors such as Fortress anchors do not bury themselves well unless conditions are perfect. I also can get a second 22 pound Delta anchor (which I have been VERY happy with) for less than half the price of a Spade anchor. I will get a Spade when I finally move up to a larger boat.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/16/2004 9:13 AM Pacific Time

Philip & Sharon:
You know the best laid plans of mice and men. Take heed and have a wonderful trip. I'll be waiting to hear of your adventures. Don't forget about the duty charge to enter the Bahamian waters was raised to $100 per person or boat? Than sucks!

Please Tell me more about your garaged inflatable?
You can reach me at [email protected]
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/28/2004 7:25 PM Pacific Time

Philip & Sharon

When and where will you be in the Bahamas?

I will be in Abaco around June 27- Aug 2.

Paul
[email protected]
Raymond
Canberra

Boat Name: Heat Wave

Model/Year: Boomaroo 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/22/2004 4:49 PM Pacific Time

The apsde anchor has had very ood reports.

However, someone had a problem -in NZ I think. He claimed that the shank came apart from the anchor.

The nut is nyloc and so one-time use only.

I think I read that the manufacturer is to make a modifcatoin in the future.

Ray
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
05/25/2005 3:51 PM Pacific Time

I bought one of these for a second starboard back-up anchor.

http://www.anchorconcepts.com/

Have not used it yet but boaters I know rave about it.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
06/13/2005 3:38 PM Pacific Time

Lost my anchor last week when it twisted around a submerged tree. Should have marked it with a can, I guess. Now I'm trying to find another one locally. What would be wrong with a 16 lb. river anchor to be used in a lake. It's kinda round but curls up into blunt prongs. Also there's a 16 lb. "slip anchor" available. Could I use either or these or should I hold out for a danforth.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/13/2005 4:53 PM Pacific Time

Nancy,
The lake I sail on is full of trees, when I'm there I use a cheep folding 10# claw type anchor. I have never had any problems with it holding and if it should wrap I haven't lost much. When I'm down south in the sand I use a Fortress and a Danforth, I wouldn't want to loose either to a tree. good luck
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

06/13/2005 6:12 PM Pacific Time

Claw type anchor? Is the round bottomed shaped thing I'm describing - It's all one piece, but the top forms three separate prongs? Wal-Mart calls it a river anchor? Thanks for advice.
Nancy
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/14/2005 8:21 AM Pacific Time

No doubt it would make a lunch hook, I wouldn't trust it for a cruise or over night, in all but ideal conditions. If your going to cruise or overnight a lot make sure your ground tackle is going to and up to the job.
The claw type anchor (grapnel) I use in the lake folds up for storage, I wouldn't think of using it for anything but day anchoring (lunch swimming etc) not for overnighting. Hence the Fortress and Danforth I also have, but for using in a lake full of trees the folding grapnel works great and if lost isn't such a loss. If you have a W/M catalog look on page 711 top left.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hull No. 10448

06/14/2005 11:50 AM Pacific Time

Great advice. I'll take this one back and look for the grapnel and a more substantial anchor. Thanks, Nancy
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Hull No.

06/15/2005 5:49 AM Pacific Time

When I find myself in situations where an anchor might get snagged on something on the bottom I tie a floating line and bouy to the shank at the bottom end of the anchor (sorry I don't know the technical words for the parts of an anchor). Anyway, it allows me to pull the anchor out and up if it is snagged. Many anchors such as the Delta plow have a designated attachment hole for such lines. I just put a shackle in the hole and tie the yellow polypropylene line to it. I recommend that you go with a good anchor and attach such a line to it. Or else you won't sleep at night.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Boat Name: A Little Class

Model/Year: 2006 Catalina Sport

Hull No. 15637

Hailing Port: Hunington Lake
03/06/2007 1:13 PM Pacific Time

I do mostly lake tips in central Cal. Has anyone used the FX-7 Fortress?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/10/2007 12:08 AM Pacific Time

Yes in the Delta and SF Bay, it holds great, maybe too good as it really digs into the delta silt (mud). Very strong anchor but a little more expensive so I'd hate to use it where there are trees that eat anchors because of the trees (we have them here at Scotts Flat Lake, CA). I have mine on on 20 feet of chain and then 100 feet of rode and like the fact also that they are lighter when manualy hauling up.
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

03/27/2007 6:29 PM Pacific Time

are the West Marine anchors combs a good bargin?
ed heasley
Tulare Ca.

Hull No. 15637

04/06/2007 11:49 AM Pacific Time

Decided to try a box anchor , mainly for its ability to collaspse. I bought the small, 18 to 24 and at 20lbs. It comes with a nice bag from which I padded the bottom so as not to bang against the floor . It is made by slide anchor.com

Anchoring
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Anchoring / Anchors