Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What cordless drill?

Author What cordless drill?
Colin Abbey
Penticton, British Columbia

Boat Name: Will o' The Wisp

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8276

Hailing Port: Penticton
12/03/2005 1:56 PM Pacific Time

After watching a segment on safety tips on Catalina Directs 'Upgrades' video, I have sworn off using an extension cord from the outlet on the dock where possible. I plan to replace my electric drill with a battery powered one. As there are so many available, I was wondering if anyone could advise what would be a good buy (mid range) and what would be a good voltage for work on my Catalina.
Thankyou.

Colin
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/03/2005 2:22 PM Pacific Time

I've got a Black and Decker Firestorm 12V and am very happy with it. I've had several other drills, and the battery is always what goes. They don't sell many 12V drills nowadays. They are mostly 14.4 and 18V. I'd get a 14.4V with 2 batteries and a storage case. On sale you can find them for $50-60. Not on sale $90-100.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/04/2005 10:16 AM Pacific Time

Those little 9.6v jobs are great for small occassional work, but as the post above says you need to have two batteries. I use a 14 year old 12v by Bosch, $200 at the time, and 3 year old 14 by Milwaukee, but I do a lot of cabinet work with slides. They do have the disadvantage of needing to have a charging source if you are going to use it very long and hard. I think the best reason for a cordless drill is just that, you are not tethered to a cord.
Al Ge

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / What cordless drill?