Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mk II foresail

Author Mk II foresail
David Brannigan
St. Petersburg, FL

Boat Name: Nixie

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina 28

Hull No. 152

Hailing Port: St. Petersburg, FL
12/04/2005 5:36 AM Pacific Time

I'm looking to replace my standard jib with a genoa and would like to know if anyone can offer some advise. I have roller furling and I mainly use my boat for cruising, but occasionally enjoy a race. I've looked at the CD 135 genoa, and the price is very good. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions they'd like to offer?

Thanks
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/04/2005 6:36 AM Pacific Time

If you already have roller furling and a 110 jib, I'd suggest getting a 150 instead of a 135 if you ever have light wind days. For racing in moderate to high winds, you would need to use the 110. The 150 can be furled to 135, but the pointing ability suffers if you furl it much more.

My 150 performs and furls well (even without a fancy foam luff). I've come to the conclusion that the comments you read about the sail getting baggy etc. apply more to the big boats than a C22. Our sails are small enough, they don't develop the bagginess as easily.
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/05/2005 9:15 PM Pacific Time

The catch with the CD sails is they do not readily provide measurement of the luff, leech, and foot size, only the LP, unlike a place like the Sail Warehouse that does, or at least in their catalog.

The Ullman furling 135 I got from CD, while an exceptionally made sail, has a luff of only 24 four feet, a detail I did not confirm when I purchased the sail. As a furler for a Catalina 22 can take a 25 foot luff, I am disappointed in losing the foot of luff. A 135 from The Sail Warehouse has a luff of 25 feet, and due to that it is a more powerful sail than the Ullman 135 that I have.

Further, as the maximum luff of a furling headsail will always be smaller than the maximum luff of a hank on headsail due to the pin to pin deduction of the furler, it really only pays to get the largest LP that you can for a furling headsail. You can always easily furl to a smaller size, so one might as well compensate for the lost luff with a large LP.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/06/2005 6:00 AM Pacific Time

The size/area of a triangle is 1/2 the base x the longest perpendicular, so it is easiest to compare sizes of sails by the luff and the LP (longest perpendicular). That is why sail measurements have gone to that. It allows for a sailmaker to make a deck sweeper or raise the clew and still have the same area. Just to clairify, it seemed there was some confusion.
Al Ge
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
12/07/2005 4:41 AM Pacific Time

So Al,
Which is the LP on the Foresail?
The Luff or the Leech?

And is the clew always a (relatively close) right angle.

For reference some descriptive pages for Triangle area:
http://regentsprep.org/Regents/mathb/5E1/areatriglesson.htm

&

http://www.mathleague.com/help/geometry/area.htm
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/07/2005 6:57 PM Pacific Time

The LP or line perpendicular is neither the leech nor the luff. It is a line or measurement from the clew that intersects the luff perpendicularly or at a 90 degree angle.

A boat’s J measurement then divides this LP to establish the line LP as a percentage of overlap or that part of the foresail that runs aft of the mast.

For example, a Catalina 22 has a J of 8 feet. If the LP of the foresail is 12 feet then 12 divided by 8 is 1.5 or the sail is 150%. Keep in mind though, that a 150% sail with a 24 foot luff is smaller than a 150% sail with a 25 foot luff. So, the LP itself is not the measurement of the sail’s area.

The clew is placed either high, low, or somewhere between. One generally expresses this as high cut clew or a low cut clew.

On hanked on deck sweepers, used for racing, one cuts the clew very low which exposes more leech to the wind for power.

On a furling headsail one must make the foot longer to compensate for the longer leech when furling the sail. To make the foot longer and the leech respectively shorter, one cuts the clew high. However, this is not as powerful a design as a low cut clew.

Further, one measures the foot from the tack to the clew. However, the foot itself is curved, so the actual length of the sail materiel of the foot is greater than that indicated by the foot measurement. The same is somewhat true for the leech as well. So thinking that actual sail area can be determined with triangle interpolation with just the foot and leech measurements don’t work. This is why the C-22 NSA has a qualitative (note: not quantitative) measurement for the main sail roach.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
12/08/2005 7:46 AM Pacific Time

To further clarify, the J measurement is the perpendicular distance from the mast, or lower extension there of, to the point the the head stay meets the deck. Note that it, the J x the vertical, the hieght where the headstay is attached to the mast, is a right triangle, by definition. So that is the 100% measurement used to determine the % of sail area of a sail, which can then be simply the luff x the LP.
Al Ge

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Mk II foresail