Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / SF Bay to Monterey,CA

Author SF Bay to Monterey,CA
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
12/20/2005 11:01 AM Pacific Time

I am considering a trip from the SF Bay (Alameda) to Monterey and back in my C22 in July. Can someone tell me of their experiences doing this? How long did it take? Did you stop over half way? What are prevailing winds and currents like?
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
12/21/2005 5:45 AM Pacific Time

Paul, Sailed last summer from Santa Cruz to Monterey. Took us 4 hours. The prevailing winds in the Monterey Bay area are Northwest, so going down was a wonderful ride. Coming back was an E ticket close hauled. Most of my friends with bigger boats go from Santa Cruz to San Francisco at night. Heard the currents under the Gate are crazy. You would know better... Stay over in Santa Cruz and I'll buy you a beer. Charlie
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

12/21/2005 8:45 AM Pacific Time

Thank you, Charlie.
I've gone through the Gate a couple of times; always at slack tide on moderate days and always right between the uprights. Given perfect conditions it's still like crossing the Rubicon for me.
I'll take you up on that beer if I'm in Santa Cruz.

John Gardner
Isleton, Ca

Boat Name: Mai Tai

Model/Year: Catalina 27 1979

Hull No. 6388

Hailing Port: Owl Harbor Marina
03/16/2009 2:35 AM Pacific Time

I have sailed from Alameda to Monterey on an O'day 28... it's a nice sail.. I've seen 20' waves from half moon to santa cruz in october as well though... I don't think I'd take any boat without a fixed keel into the ocean, and if it were a 22' boat I think I'd be very choosy about the weather. whatever you do, think safety first.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/17/2009 12:22 PM Pacific Time

I sailed in the Oakland to Catalina race back in '90, on my home built 35'. It is usually a gear breaking down wind ride, that year the winds were not, it started on Sunday and we did not finish by Thursday noon. All to say, it usually is as Charlie says, NW winds so the trip back will be most likely be on the nose all the way.
Maybe you could have your trailer in Monterey and drive home.
Al Ge
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/17/2009 11:16 PM Pacific Time

Did it in a Irwin 37 in Sept. 2001 Labor Day weekend with another buddy boat Irwin 37. The trip down was very calm. Not so for the trip back and due to some breakdowns and bad weather (big winds and short seas) we ended up turning around, put the boat back in the slip at Monterey, rented van/driver and made an expensive trip to Alameda to pick up our cars. One person ended up in the emergency room with a broken pelvis. Looking back, the van ride was more scary. We had eight sailors with luggage and a driver in a seven passenger van all the way to Alameda. The next weekend we went back and basically motored the boats (no wind) from Monterey to Alameda. Go figure. Wouldn't do it in a C22 without a buddy boat, good weather window and no committments to get there or back in a set time.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
03/18/2009 10:02 AM Pacific Time

All good stories, but Paul's original post was 4 years ago.....

David
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Hull No. 10890

03/18/2009 6:58 PM Pacific Time

Just picked up on the continued thread. That was a while back.

Based on some research back then, I realized that the whole plan was not too safe for a novice to undertake. It was safer to simplify the whole thing. A friend and I sailed my C22 from Santa Cruz to Monterey, overnighted in Monterey then back to Santa Cruz the next day. It was only 4 or 6 hours each day on the water. The weather that weekend was perfect. The experience was fun, had no problems. Used to SF Bay sailing, being miles from shore in the middle of Monterey Bay was kind of unnerving, but we had lots of supplies and back ups like radios and flares, etc.: we were over prepared and over provisioned.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / SF Bay to Monterey,CA