Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Sliding hatch boards -- leaking/raising

Author Sliding hatch boards -- leaking/raising
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
01/12/2006 1:20 PM Pacific Time

I've noticed that the boards holding my sliding hatch in place are leaking through the screw holes (this is easy enough to fix and won't present a problem). My question is whether anyone has experimented with raising the hatch boards w/say, cork by 1/8" where the screws are located. This would create a small channel in 3 locations allowing water to drain under the hatchboards. Since all rain on the sliding hatch runs off the top, and into the groove in the hatch boards, raising the board and allowing the water to leach out under the wood would prevent seepage through the screws and, I think, reduce the weathering on the wood.

Thoughts?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
01/12/2006 8:21 PM Pacific Time

Hi, When I went around the boat looking for leaks with buckets of water, I noticed that this is a possible place for water comming underneath as the only place for water to drain off the inside of the hatch rails is fore/aft. I had considered routing out some wood on the bottom between the screw holes but cork gaskets may also work as youd described as long as the hatch still works properly.
~Bilbo
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
01/13/2006 5:42 AM Pacific Time

I made a bead of marine caulk around each hole and allowed to dry. Built it up with another layer and allowed to dry. I then filled the center of the bead with caulk around and in the screw hole and tightened down. It raises the level a wee bit with a material that will not absorb the water; but, allows it to run throug. Seems to have worked for me.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
01/13/2006 6:15 AM Pacific Time

Great feedback guys. I read in another post an idea around filling the grooves w/epoxy and then re-cutting them w/the idea that the epoxy is more durable. I'll experiment w/that combined w/using the cork and some sealant. Great ideas. Thanks!
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
01/13/2006 6:45 AM Pacific Time

The VERY BEST sealant I have come across in all circumstances is a product called "Lexel". The stuff stays pliable and will stop ALL water leaks.

When I revamped my boat, I removed these top hatch boards and resealed them with Lexel. No leaks at all. The only drawback is that they will be hard to remove in the future.

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Sliding hatch boards -- leaking/raising