Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Fulton # 560 winch

Author Fulton # 560 winch
Eric Robinson
Morehead, Ky

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. 5126

Hailing Port: Cave Run Lake
01/19/2006 7:52 AM Pacific Time

I am new to the site here. But what i would like to know is; If i can find a replacement spring for my Fulton winch? The winch is in exelent condition, no rust, turns easy, but it just wont lock in place. I took it apart to find the spring on the ratchet mechanism was broke. All i need is to find a new spring. Can anyone help?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
01/20/2006 4:54 AM Pacific Time

Eric,

You might try our sponsor Catalina Direct for the part. If they don't have it, I Googled Fulton winches and found their website. You can probably get the spring from them. The site is: http://www.fultonperformance.com/subgroups.php?group=77.

Good luck!

Greg
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
01/20/2006 9:12 AM Pacific Time

If finding one fails, call local spring maker, and you will probably be able to find one similar or get a piece of SS spring wire to bend one yourself. I happened to have had the wire and made my own.
Al Ge
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
01/20/2006 10:10 AM Pacific Time

Eric,

Check out their web site. They even have a suport link where you can email them.

http://www.fultonperformance.com/

Bob
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
01/20/2006 10:11 AM Pacific Time

Oops!

Greg already suggested that. Sorry I didn't see it.

Bob
Eric Robinson
Morehead, Ky

Boat Name:

Hull No. 5126

01/20/2006 4:38 PM Pacific Time

i tried first yesterday, first to contact fulton, they were very helpful and stayed with me on the phone answering my questions for a good while. But come to find out that they have no replacemnt for the spring on my #560. They suggested a replacemnt for the winch here on C.D. or their own k1051 auto cluch winch. So being exploreritve person that i am, i tried to manufacture my own spring. now the paw on the ratchet will engage when i raise the kell, but wil not let go to lower the keel. is there someone with a diagram of the spring, so i can make sure that have constructed it correctly. or is that correct. is the #560 only a one way winch. but i have to assume that they ratchet both ways. any help out there?
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
01/21/2006 12:40 AM Pacific Time

The winch ratchets in the up (clockwuse direction) and releases a brake that disengages engages the ratchet disk from the drum in the down (couterclockwise) direction. The pawl is never released. Once the ratchet disk is released, the weight of the keel pulling on the cable causes the winch drum to turn unwind the cable. The weight of the keel must be on the cable before the winch drum will turn in the down direction.
Eric Robinson
Morehead, Ky

Boat Name:

Hull No. 5126

01/21/2006 7:57 AM Pacific Time

thank you Mr. Zimmerman. Now i can picture how it works in my mind. And it makes me happ that i don;t have to spend 100 buck on a new winch, yet anyway. I can put that somewhere else in my boat.
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/16/2006 5:57 PM Pacific Time

Erv Zimmerman

Thank-you for your functional description of this winch. I completely cleaned, painted and greased mine.. -BUT- my winch did not work as all the information I found indicated.. Clutch? To lower my winch I had to stick my finger into the winch to push off the locking "pawl". This has been a trickey situation for some time. I was debating on purchasing another one, but I could not let go of the concept that it was such a simple device.

Your response herein prompted me to disassemble it one more time and inspect. Your description of the clutch mechanism revealed that the clutch had rusted to the shaft AND was painted over by a previous ????. After scraping, banging the perimeter, sanding, greasing and reassembly.. The winch WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!

I can not thank you enough.. I am a type "a" personality and engineer... I just could not let go. This effort has had it's rewards.

Scott L. Shermeyer
Cherry Point, NC

Boat Name: Blue Nun

Model/Year: C22, 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cherry Point, NC
03/17/2006 4:47 PM Pacific Time

In the past, I've had excellent customer service from Fulton, just give them a call and let them know what you are looking for. They've sent me cable clamps and such for free!

Cheers,
Scott

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Fulton # 560 winch