Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Alcohol Stove

Author Alcohol Stove
Louis
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: Moon-Raine

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Mobile, Al.
02/04/2006 9:49 PM Pacific Time

I haven't had my 22 very long, and find that the few times I've sailed her, she's a dream. It seems that the Catalina is a very popular boat in our area, because I had my first break-in and the only thing they took was the stove. I had already removed sails... due to major repair work to the deck. I was surprised that the stove was all that was missing, so it leads me to believe, someone else needed it more than I. My question is: does anyone know where I can find a replacement 2 burner alcohol stove to replace the one missing, and do you have any idea of it's value?
Paul Taylor
Myrtle Point, OR

Boat Name: Respite

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 5431

Hailing Port: Coos Bay, OR
02/05/2006 4:48 AM Pacific Time

If you need an insurance quote, you can find the Origo 3000 stove at West Marine dot com going for a whopping $549.99. Most marine stores carry them as well and you can find a lot better deal elsewere if you search the web for Origo.

I would probably buy one, if I had to have one, on Ebay for a LOT less. For as little as 65.00 or so you can have a new single burner propane stove that usually will get the job done and you can take it camping too!
David
Fairport, NY

Boat Name: 2nd Chance

Model/Year: Catalina 22 Wing Keel 1999

Hull No. 15108

Hailing Port: Pultneyville, NY
02/05/2006 6:47 AM Pacific Time

I wouldn't recommend a propane stove inside a Catalina 22. Propane needs to be requlated and vented properly or you can run into trouble. Look for a replacement in ebay or other. You may want to try w3.pricegrabber.com
Dave
Bob Rayner
Sidney,B.C.

Boat Name: Pooh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 ( swing keel)

Hull No. 5370

Hailing Port: Sidney, BC, Canada
02/05/2006 7:42 PM Pacific Time

I switched a few years ago to a butane stove and would not use any other. I picked up my last one for $29.00 Canadian and it comes in a carry case. I take it home every time where it saves us during the occasional power outage. Butane is heavier than air but faster heat and you can see the flame. Check out Costco , they carry them as part of the summer mix.
Louis
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: Moon-Raine

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Mobile, Al.
02/05/2006 7:43 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the info. I found it pretty weird that someone broke into my boat, just to steal the stove, now I know why. That is one expensive puppy; and it looked almost brand new. They took nothing else, and they took the time to put the crib boards back in place. They obviously new the value or quite possibly had a buyer waiting for it. I doubt that I'll put a propane inside the cabin, because I know the alcohol stove is built for that purpose, and a propane would need sufficient ventilation. I probably wouldn't even use it, I just wanted to get an estimate since I am restoring the old girl to her past glory. She weathered hurricane Katrina with just slight damage to her port rub rail, and minor gel coat scratches. I'll be checking into e-bay, westmarine, and pricegrabber. Thanks

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Alcohol Stove