Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / C-22 owners in New Bern, NC?

Author C-22 owners in New Bern, NC?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/06/2006 7:58 PM Pacific Time

I'm trying to locate a C-22 owner in the New Bern NC area who would be willing to let me look at their boat. The 78 I bought turns out to be more of a project boat than I expected and it would really help if I could see a rigged 22 made around that year.
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
02/07/2006 3:28 AM Pacific Time

http://www.askbj.com/users/joyful/
This website as well as others should help
see photos section
its a 1977

Uwe
Mark Blanton
Cary, NC

Boat Name: MerSea

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1976

Hull No. 6554

Hailing Port: Cary, NC
02/07/2006 5:01 AM Pacific Time

Eric,
I live in the Raleigh area and may not be of much help as I am also a C22 "newbie." However, a good place to start for a wealth of info is www.chipford.com.
Good luck with your project.
Mark Blanton ([email protected])
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
02/07/2006 6:50 AM Pacific Time

Hi Eric - I don't live in New Bern, but I owned a 78 for about 15 years and have lots of pictures. Is there a particular question you have in mind?

Come to Sanford, FL in a couple of weeks and join the party. You will be able to see and probably ride on a boat of that vintage.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
02/07/2006 9:52 AM Pacific Time

Eric,
I'm not in New Bern - but not very far. I'm in Nags Head. I have a 77 - she is still in the water - if you'd like to take a drive over to the beach - just let me know

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/07/2006 7:12 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Uwe and Mark...I am familiar with your very nice site Uwe and I have just joined Chip's list on your recommendation, Mark.

Dick, I'll be knocking at your door tomorrow evening...by the way, I eat a lot of steak and lobster, and would ask you to get in a supply of cabernet sauv and dark beer. :-)

And Marie, that was a terrific article in Main Brace...I was planning on trying to contact you after reading it. I've restored several wood boats over the years, and it never really registered, but yes, there quickly comes a point where it is "your" boat, not the previous owner's. I never really thought about it until I read your article, and immediately recognized what you were saying.

Now, for some particulars. I bought this boat from a guy who had never sailed before and never got this one in the water. To make a long story short, I had NOT intended to buy a project boat, but that's more or less what I've ended up with. Lots of pieces in boxes, and I'm finding there are some parts missing.

Obviously, I never saw it rigged and in the water. And the only other C-22 I've been able to locate in New Bern is a fixed keel with most of the wood trim replaced with plastic. So, my first question is, how do the companion way trim pieces go on? I have them all revarnished (they were off the boat when I got it) and when I went to see how they went back on, I found three different ways they "might" go. Does anyone happen to have a pic of the campanion way trim pieces attached?

Also, I have two wood pieces that don't seem to have a readily identifiable home. I have a pic of them if someone wants to take a stab at it. You can email me at: >>>hiquk9s>>>at****yahoo^^^dot+++com<<<< (taking out all the nonsense symbols and converting"at to a @ and "dot" to a period, of course.)

Finally, the first two pieces I need to replace are: 1) the pad eye that goes with the hatch lock hasp; and 2) the trim for the aft end of the hatch cover. The one that came with the boat is warped beyond my ability to straighten it. I've advertised for the hatch cover trim on this forum, but no takers yet. And if I am reading the C-22 handbook from CD correctly, they no longer offer this piece. Any other ideas on running down these two pieces? (I tried to find a pad eye tht fits, but even the smallest West Marine has is just a shade too lerge to go thru the hasp slot.)

OK, that's probably enough for starters. Thanks for any help you can offer. Other stuff is going to pop up as I get further along, no doubt. I can hardly wait to step the mast ans see what might or might not be attached to that! ;->

BTW, I also posted to all the people listed on the CatalinaOwners.com owners directory living in New Bern who have C-22, but the only response is from a guy who sold the boat a couple of years ago, moved to the NC mountains, and can't remember the new owner's name.

Eric

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / C-22 owners in New Bern, NC?