Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / help--buying a catalina

Author help--buying a catalina
Matthew Lowlavar
Meridian, MS

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/12/2006 3:10 PM Pacific Time

Hi! I have enjoyed reading the forums and was wandering if I could get some help! My wife and I have been sailing a hobie 16 for about 2 years now. We are currently looking to buy a boat we can spend the weekend on (one that is easily trailered, rigged and sailed). Catalina 22's seem to be the answer along with possibly a west wight potter. I need some help on what to ask and look for when buying a used catalina 22. Also any advice would be helpful on the transition from a catamaran to a C22.What would be the advantages of a C22 over a wwp.
Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing your comments!
Matt
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
02/19/2006 9:01 PM Pacific Time

Were you thinking of a Potter 15 or a 19? The main advantage I see to the Catalina is that there are just so many of them out there and they can be had cheaply. Good used WWP's can be hard to come by, especially if your looking for a 15.
Aaron M Benham
33a Loomis Hights

Boat Name: Tidely-Idley: The never ending project

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 8070

Hailing Port:
02/19/2006 9:05 PM Pacific Time

The WWP 15 would have been my first choise. But a "free" project boat that included all the important peices(mast, boom,keel, keel winch, rudder, 4 1/2 " Sunto compass, "sails" ect.) was better than no boat at all.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / help--buying a catalina