Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Furling gear

Author Furling gear
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Almost Heaven III

Model/Year: 1989 Wing

Hull No. 14834

Hailing Port: Indian Lake, Ohio
02/17/2006 6:30 PM Pacific Time

I want to add jib furling system to my 1989 Catalina 22. Can anyone suggest a brand and model that would work well on this boat.

Thank you, Jim
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/17/2006 7:40 PM Pacific Time

Check out the existing posts under in the Catalina Discussion area under Sails--CDI Furler. There is discussion about Harken, CDI, and Schaeffer. I have a Schaeffer Snap-Furl and love it, but be sure to install the halyard restrainer to prevent damage to the forestay.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

02/17/2006 8:46 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Michael
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
02/18/2006 4:26 AM Pacific Time

I went with the CDI and was not happy because you could not adjust the luff tension easily. I would suggest the Harken therefor.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/18/2006 5:43 AM Pacific Time

Jim' you might want to look at sailcare.com. Their prices are very competitive, and they do a great job of refurbishing sails and adding the luff tap and uv shield you will need.

R. C. Luiken,
13560, Ricichet
Milford DE
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

02/18/2006 7:34 AM Pacific Time

Thank you, RC
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
02/18/2006 8:06 AM Pacific Time

Jim,

Since you are in Cinci, you may want to check out Sailor's Tailor in Spring Valley, Ohio to modify your jib. They have a web site.

Bob
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

02/25/2006 7:42 AM Pacific Time

Michael Smalter; What type of halyard restrainer did you use with your snap furl system?. I'm going go with a Schaeffer Snap furl 500. Schaeffer offers a restrainer block, also two different sizes of restrainers.
Thank you,
Jim
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/25/2006 10:04 AM Pacific Time

Mine looked like part number 78-75. If you have a halyard winch, I don't think the pulley is necessary. If you don't have a winch and don't keep the boat in the water, you might want to try the pulley, as you will be tensioning the jib halyard more often, and won't have any mechanical advantage.
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

02/26/2006 6:37 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the number Michael.
Guy Marlow
Punta Gorda, FL

Boat Name: Bittersweet

Model/Year: 22/1987

Hull No. 13048

Hailing Port: Burnt Store Marina
02/27/2006 4:00 AM Pacific Time

I would confirm what Michael says about the restrainer but also avoid the mistake I made and ensure that the top swivel attachment ( for the halyard and sail) can go high enough to keep the halyard as short as possible between the swivel and the restrainer.

My mistake was not reducing the forestay length enough with the bottle screw once the furler was installed - this meant that the foil , although cut to the right length accoridng to the installation instructions, did not go all the way up the forestay and the halyard was left exposed and wrapped . I broke two forestays in rapid succession . ( some people are slow learners !!)

Schaeffer were really helpful - as was this forum. Now that it is fixed it works a treat and we just returned from a full five day cruise with sailing all day and everyday and had no problems .

Guy Marlow
Russ Devans
Buffalo NY

Boat Name: N E Wind

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 10248

Hailing Port: Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
03/21/2006 9:06 AM Pacific Time

has any one tried or know anything about a super furler that everyhting comes with the kit . its a complete kit to do everything yourself including sail alteration.
http://www.superfurl.com/
Jerry Lanigan
Madera CA

Boat Name: Off Again

Model/Year: Catalina 22 88

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Madera
12/24/2007 1:51 PM Pacific Time

I just got a Catalina 22 with a Schaefer Furling unit. The fore stay was coming apart at the top. I removed it and got a new one. My problems is how do I get the round foil apart so that I can put it on the new fore stay? I have not had one of these before so I am in the dark. The instructions said that you could not pull the foil apart as it will break. Jerry
Jim Kuertz
Cincinnati, Ohio

Hull No. 14834

12/24/2007 11:23 PM Pacific Time

Jerry,
Once you remove the old fore stay, lay the plastic tube on the ground or floor. With a helper slide the two halves in opposite directions. You may need to lube it with silicone spray, W D - fourty or even warm water may help. To start it you might have to tap it with a hammer using a block of wood between the hammer and the furling tube half to avoid damaging it. Good luck . Merry Christmas
Peter
Stamford, CT

Boat Name: Au Contraire

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1986

Hull No. 13325

Hailing Port: Stamford
12/26/2007 5:14 AM Pacific Time

I have a Schaefer Furler, model 00. My guess is that you have the same. The furler is aluminuum not plastic.

It has been many years since I mounted it to my boat. I seem to remember set screws being involved with the furler and using locktite. My suggestion is call Schaefer. These companies are always great with their technical advice.
Jerry Lanigan
Madera CA

Boat Name: Off Again

Model/Year: Catalina 22 88

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Madera
12/30/2007 10:28 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for the input. I was heading in that direction, as I was able to slide the foil a few inches. I will try the silicon spray, and then WD40 if needed. It is a treat to have this find of resource available. Enjoy the New year and good sailing.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Furling gear