Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Cockpit Tables

Author Cockpit Tables
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Boat Name: Puravida

Model/Year: C27/1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
02/22/2006 4:43 PM Pacific Time

I've got a '81 C27, and am looking to make a table to be used in the cockpit for entertaining. I've got tiller steering, and want to maximize the space without creating something that's a pain to put up and take down and store. I could buy the teak table that West Marine sells for about $250, but don't want to spend that when I know I can make something a lot cheaper. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
02/23/2006 5:55 AM Pacific Time

Thomas,

I have thought about a cockpit table also. With a tiller, you don't have a place to mount one permanently like with wheel steering so it seems to me that you would have to store it somewhere else. We tried a TV tray on our boat for awhile. It works but is somewhat of a pain and we just gave up and use the lid of the cooler. If you or anyone else comes up with a better idea I am certainly eager to hear it. Sorry that I was no help but I am glad you asked the question.

Greg

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/23/2006 6:21 AM Pacific Time

Interesting, the tiller is in the way, so what about a tiller table? Think about it, the tiller is about the correct height for a table. So why not make a table that has some kind of attachment so it can be fixed temporarily to the tiller. Some kind of clamp or something. Before using the table one must lash off the tiller nice and tight. Hmmm....I am thinking seriously about this one.

Butchie
1986 c22
Sandy Bottoms
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
02/23/2006 7:15 AM Pacific Time

One way to make the table is to find a spring clamp that is the correct size of your traveler. Mount that to the rear portion of the table so you slip it on over the traveler. Next, drill a hole that will match up with your tiller's hole for the tiller extension. Viola! You have a table that will keep the tiller locked in position and be balenced and supported by your traveler
Lance Jones
Atlanta, GA

Boat Name: Kitty's Cat

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 622

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, Aqualand Marina
02/23/2006 7:16 AM Pacific Time

Meant to add....Fit a pin throgh the hole in the table that fits into your tiller extension hole.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
02/23/2006 8:14 AM Pacific Time

On my 35' home made boat I built a table out of 3/8" mahgony plywood. The top just fit across the seats so that it could be used to sleep in the cockpit. The legs were plywood that had slots cut half way so they fit together at right angles. They too were made so they fit across the seats for the bed. Under side of table had cleats to recieve the 'legs'. By choosing either square to the top or 45 to the top you can set one of the legs athwarthship, so you have knee room on each side, or just turn the table 45. Either way it worked out well.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Hull No.

02/23/2006 11:05 AM Pacific Time

Everyone, all good ideas. I have a couple additional questions. I'm putting on a new traveler this year, from Garhauer, so I'm thinking I may be able to build some sort of support/clamp that mates nicely with the traveler. I'm think, however, that the height of the traveler and the height of the tiller are not the same, and that would have to be taken into account. Has anyone had any experience with mounting a base in the floor of the cockpit to receive say a round 4" pvc pipe? I'm thinking some sort of adapter may work, simply make a base to receive the pipe and then the whole thing comes apart in pieces, one table, a piece of pipe, and a base....

Thoughts?
Bob Rayner
Sidney,B.C.

Boat Name: Pooh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 ( swing keel)

Hull No. 5370

Hailing Port: Sidney, BC, Canada
02/24/2006 10:02 AM Pacific Time

On my c-22 I built a table with a locker underneath that holds 2 - 3gallon gas tanks and is level with the seats. This is situated at the aft of the cockpit under the tiller, a normally dead space made useful. In addition this frees up locker space and keeps gas fumes out of the cabin. I plan to make an additional table that sits in the position of the bottom crib board. I saw it on one of the c-22 sites but don't remember which one.
Bob
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
02/24/2006 11:35 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

Do you have a digital picture of the locker you described. I would like to see it if you do. [email protected]

Bob
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
02/24/2006 4:06 PM Pacific Time

Tom,

I wouldn't drill or cut holes in the bottom of my cockpit for anything! I too thought about a camper table with a removable leg and a surface or flush mount to put it in and then I thought about the very real chance of water getting into and under the floor and scrapped the whole idea.

Greg
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/25/2006 5:30 AM Pacific Time

A friend of mine built a cockpit table for his boat using clips to attach it to the traveler and then used a u shaped piece of 1/4" stainless rod attached to the under side. This piece has a rubber tube in the center of the foot of the u. The legs of the u are long enough that the reach to rest at the intersection of the cockpit sole and transom. You could also add a channel to the bottom of the table top to steady the tiller under the table.
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
02/25/2006 7:23 AM Pacific Time

cockpit tables,yes food for invention,need one myself and although this one is not for me it might be for you.a local sailor made one that hangs from the boom as an extra space.about 24x10 just a space for the salad bowl or whatever and they even use under light sailing or motor..it gimbals..port\strbrd....camera,binocs,book...it evolved from hanging a canvas bucket so stuff didn't slide onto the floor as they are bound to do...as i write it is making more sense.hmmm..
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/25/2006 10:22 AM Pacific Time

I made a removable cockpit table using a spare piece of formica counter. I cut it about 6 inches longer than the distance between the cockpit seats and installed a 1/2x3/4" rail on the underside about 4" from each end. The table rests on the seats, can't slide off, and can be positioned anywhere the length of the cockpit. I also put fiddles on the top edges to prevent things from sliding off. If I did it again I'd use 3/8" or 1/2" plywood rather than formica with chipboard to reduce the weight. I store it in the quarter berth when it is not in use.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
02/26/2006 2:33 PM Pacific Time

I'd thought about a combination barney post and table leg receptacle made from the bottom of a stainless pedestal seat leg. Two uses - You can lead and control the mainsheet forward, then slip the mainsheet block and tackle out of the receptacle and insert the table leg. The receptacle would be cut down so that it's just three or four inches off the deck, and through bolted to a reinforced pad under the cockpit floor. But I also hate the idea of drilling holes into the boat, especially the cockpit, so I haven't gone through with it.

Paul
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Hull No.

02/26/2006 5:02 PM Pacific Time

Everyone:

This weekend I bit the bullet and did a couple things. First, I made a new dinette table for the cabin. I had wanted to do teak, but at $250 a sheet for 3/8 teak plywood, I just couldn't justify the cost. I created a very nice looking table from a sheet of 1/2" birch and 1/2" mdf, which will be stable and rigid, and resistive to moisture. I fitted all the edges with solid wood, and will be staining and applying cetol soon. I also created a cockpit table, and put two good suggestions in the messages in this thread to use. I created one that I will be able to mount athwartships between the cockpit seats, with a short rail on the bottom to prevent sliding, and also put holes in the corners, so that it can be hung from the boom when either under power or sitting at the mooring. It's easily stowed below when not in use. If anyone wants to see a picture, let me know. Thanks to everyone for the usefull ideas.
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
02/26/2006 6:47 PM Pacific Time

I'd like to see pictures. My email is in an earlier entry in this topic.

Thanks,

Bob
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
02/26/2006 8:42 PM Pacific Time

I saw some pictures just recently of a table that someone had made. It consisted of a tray/table which had a hole cut in the back end, which fit down over the winch. That supported the rear of the table.

A leg( don't remember if one or two legs), similiar to the type an ironing board would have folded from beneath the table and fit under the coaming box at the intersection of the cockpit seats and fiberglass area under the coaming box. A runner was "T'd" off the end of each leg to make a foot for the two legs. Looked like it was sturdy and the first I'd seen like that.
Larry
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
02/26/2006 10:29 PM Pacific Time

I saw that one also and thought it was a great idea!
Bill Seger
Lombard Illinois

Boat Name: "Free Willy"

Model/Year: swing 1988

Hull No. 14282

Hailing Port: Winthrop Harbor,Illinois
03/28/2006 7:26 PM Pacific Time

On my '88 c-22 I made two sliding brackets from aluminum stock and routed out the bottom of my dinette table .I covered the brackets with plexiglass ,and bent the end of the bracket 90 degrees ,so it would hang over the traveler. I then drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes in the top of the traveller,into which I insert thumb screws with a jamb nut to hold it snug for breakfast or dinner at the marina.I'm wondering if I could make some kind of hinged table extension for a longer table.
Tim Tucker
Morganton, NC

Boat Name: Leikela

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 7842

Hailing Port: Lake Norman NC
09/24/2006 1:43 PM Pacific Time

Heres the table we came up with, its simple to store and make.
one piece 1/2 inch plywood cut to 33 by 16. Drill 1/2 inch hole in one end, cut out 7 inch by 1/4 inch relief area for the traveler in the other end. attach two 1/2 inch conduit holders ( from lowes hardware) to fit on the traveler bar To keep table from moving off of the traveler bar use two 1/2 inch conduit pieces flattened out, attached underneath. Tie a piece of rope through the hole in the forward end. Take rope over the boom a couple of loops and down around tiller a couple of turns. Tie off, enjoy.
May be stained or painted.
Tim Tucker
Morganton, NC

Boat Name: Leikela

Model/Year: 1978 C22

Hull No. 7842

Hailing Port: Lake Norman NC
09/24/2006 1:43 PM Pacific Time

Heres the table we came up with, its simple to store and make.
one piece 1/2 inch plywood cut to 33 by 16. Drill 1/2 inch hole in one end, cut out 7 inch by 1/4 inch relief area for the traveler in the other end. attach two 1/2 inch conduit holders ( from lowes hardware) to fit on the traveler bar To keep table from moving off of the traveler bar use two 1/2 inch conduit pieces flattened out, attached underneath. Tie a piece of rope through the hole in the forward end. Take rope over the boom a couple of loops and down around tiller a couple of turns. Tie off, enjoy.
May be stained or painted.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Cockpit Tables