Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel

Author Keel
Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
02/23/2006 11:07 AM Pacific Time

New to forum, new to my #10614, purchased Sept 5 2005, lots to do. With that said I have a question, need opinions, the keel on my boat sets solid on the trailer so solid that the rubber keel guide ( V that the keel sets on) is rotted to dust. I cannot lift the keel up any at all while on the trailer, this puzzles me when i read that one should make sure that the weight of the keel is resting on the trailer before traveling. I think this will make it harder to get off the trailer even with the tongue extention. The trailer is a Trailmaster made for the boat. The trailer bunks are in good shape and as far as I can tell adjusted accordingly. Is this OK or should the trailer bunks be increased in depth( a 1X6 added ) in order to give me a little adjustability?

Advise greatly appreciated
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
02/24/2006 8:16 AM Pacific Time

Hi Vernon - Sounds like you need to get the keel pad from either the trailer manufacturer (Trail Rite?) or 3rd party. Check your keel cable ($55 from Catalina Direct aka CD) and if it looks rusty, replace. With most of the keel's weight on the trailer, your boat won't have the extra load. When launching, bouyancy should 'lift' the keel enought to clear the pad since it's only 2-3" of cable. You can use a floor jack to lift the back of your boat up and put some spacers on the bunks while you replace the rubber pad.
Good luck and enjoy!
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
02/25/2006 5:39 AM Pacific Time

The keel should only rest on the rubber support for trailering. By resting on the rubber mount you eliminate any side motion which will place strain on the keel mount. Prior to launching the keel should be raised to clear the rubber mount. If you cannot raise the keel, you will need longer supports for your bunk boards. When my boat is placed on the trailer there is about 3/4 " clearance betweeen the keel and the rubber mount. Before I drive away I lower the keel to rest on the mount.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/26/2006 7:31 AM Pacific Time

Hello Vernon,

The Fleet 20 article on trailers provides some photos of where the keel should be when trailering.

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/trailer.htm

Dale Mack, Fleet Captain
Catalina 22 Fleet 20
www.c22pdx.org
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
02/26/2006 9:10 AM Pacific Time

Vernon,

I had a similar problem to yours. I noticed that I could not lift the keel off the support when the boat was on the trailer. I was concerned that the weight of the boat was being carried mostly by the keel and not by the bunks. I ended up placing blocks made from 2x6's under the bunks at each attachment point to the trailor frame, thus raising the boat 1 1/2 inches. Now when I lower the keel after putting the boat on the trailor, the cable attachement point to the keel is just exposed.

Vernon
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: Breakin' Wind

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 10614

Hailing Port: Anywhere I can lower my Keel
02/27/2006 9:55 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Stefan,RC,Dale and Greg for the informative responses. I now know what to do to correct this problem.
Now all I need is the ice to go away so I can get some work done.

I hope someday our wakes will cross.

Vernon

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Keel