Electrical

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Battery decisions

Author Battery decisions
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
03/02/2006 6:03 AM Pacific Time

I'm weighing what battery to install and could use some input. A detailed load chart shows that on a five day cruise we could use 100 amps +/-. West Marine says that gel cell is the only way to go or two wet cells. Total cost w/out chargers etc. $160-$300. Batteries plus will sell me a single Group 31, 135 amp, wet cell for $86. They tell me it should be fine and that I can charge it in the boat using my new shore charger (the new charger tails off the charge to prevent out-gassing so I don't need to remove the caps). This last is completely opposite what West Marine says. They suggest that buying something other than a marine battery is not advisable. I asked why it is then that many boats use golf cart batteries for certain applications: all I got back was a shrug. Any thoughts???
Thomas Lang
North Granby, CT

Boat Name: Puravida

Model/Year: C27/1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Noank, CT
03/02/2006 7:16 AM Pacific Time

Sean:

I have always used two batteries on my C27, one for starting and one deep cycle for everything else, and they are both tied together to the master switch. I also have the ability to simply start my engine to recharge if I run them down while out on an extended trip. I don't know what you have for recharging while away from shore power, but that probably shouldn't influence your decision. I've always had good luck with maintenance free marine batteries, and I've typically used interstate or lifeline. Hope this helps...

Tom
[email protected]
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
03/16/2006 9:35 PM Pacific Time

Gel cells are not capable of cyclic high loads or frequent deep discharges without sustaining damage.. I have installed many UPS systems for computer networks 3.5-18KVA and have allways used AGM batteries. This may not directly relate to a marine environment, but capacity and longetivity are factors that are common. AGM batteries typically last about four years with regular useage (sometimes even longer, as employees used to get in line when they were changed out for use on bass boats, etc.). They possess high current capacities similar but better than flooded batteries.

Gell cells (last I reviewed) could not stand up to high current useage for very long without plate damage (ie.. starting motors).

Hope this helps...

For what it's worth: It seems that with flooded batteries, the "rage" is Hydro Caps.. My brother is a cruiser (Morgan O/I 41) and swears by these devices, as he has three banks of rather large batteries. It seems they reconstitue the "gassing" components back into water and reduce the frequency of distilled water application and maintenance in general.

Anybody else out there using these puppies?
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
03/17/2006 5:46 AM Pacific Time

A guy at West Marine gave me the pitch on the hydro caps. They seem to make a world of sense -- I mean, they are intuitively/logically a great idea and even by West Marine's standards pretty affordable.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
03/17/2006 9:52 AM Pacific Time

Could someone describe Hydro Caps for me?

Interstate makes a battery called the Megatron. It comes in different sizes. I think it is as good as any conventional battery made, and perhaps better.

I have used only Interstate batteries for years. Sometime in the early 70s I bought an old Volvo that hadn't run a year. A kid had left the key on, so the battery was completely drained, and the water was below the plates. My mechanic said "hell that's an Interstate. Put water in it and charge it up, and it will probably be fine." It was a three year battery, five years old at the time.

I did. It was. I used that battery through two winters and it was still good when I sold the car.

Interstate also sponsored the electric car project at the high school in Port Townsend, Washington when I lived there. The company was really good. They supported the kids, and provided lots of technical help so the kids understood the theory of their projects. When I left Port Townsend in 1996 there were 40 electric cars driving around.
Larry Beneway
Rochester, New York

Boat Name: Stargazer

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10137

Hailing Port: Brockport New York
03/18/2006 4:14 AM Pacific Time

Sean,
We have used a interstate gel battery in our C 22 for three years now. I would highly recomend this type of battery. Interstate is the supplier for West Marine batteries. When you purchase the battery purchase one of their battery tender chargers for that type of battery and plug it in every couple of days on your trips and you will have great sucess.

Larry
Dan Schafer
Traverse City, MI

Boat Name: SeaBatical

Model/Year: C22 / 1983

Hull No. 1577

Hailing Port: Grand Traverse Bay
03/18/2006 5:58 AM Pacific Time

I was curious about Hydrocaps, since I had never heard about them myself. Since I've done a little research, I've found out two things: [1] they're effective at returning the escaping gases back to the water in the battery, and [2] the company has no website. I've often wondered why many boaters are VERY concerned about explosive gases on their boats and take great pains to avoid propane, diesel, gasoline fumes from the boat..... and yet this is the first time I've seen concern about the VERY explosive hydrogen gases given off by most batteries. On our C22s, the battery is down in the bilge .... right next to switches that can give off sparks under the right conditions.

Here's an exerpt from the review:
Hydrocaps: Since different batteries have different cap sizes and styles, the Hydrocaps must be fitted for a particular battery. The manufacturer aided us, as he does all his customers, in selecting the right size, shape and overcharge rate for our battery system. Fortunately, Hydrocap makes a specific model that will fit most any battery and situation. Hydrocap Cost The manufacturer sells Hydrocaps directly to the end user for $5.50 each, delivered, in quantities of six or more. I figure that over the lifetime of a set of Hydrocaps I'll spend at least two times their purchase price on distilled water alone. And this doesn't include my time to refill and cleanup the batteries, or the added safety factor of greatly reduced explosive hydrogen surrounding the batteries during recharging, or the interesting and useful information offered the the cap's heat. The Hydrocaps are worth at least what they cost. Hydrocap Access Contact Mr. George Peroni at Hydrocap Corp., 975 N.W. 95 Street, Miami, FL 33150 ¥ telephone: 305-696-2504. George not only sized our Hydrocaps, but was very helpful in providing technical information about his product. Conclusion Hydrocaps are a must for lead-acid battery users. They increase the safety of the battery area by reducing explosive hydrogen gas. They are cost-effective by their savings in distilled water alone. They reduce battery maintenance while increasing battery longevity and reliability. They also offer direct tactile feedback regarding the state of charge of the battery's individual cells. We're now running Hydrocaps on all our cells and are specifying them on all the batteries that Electron Connection Ltd. installs. Hydrocaps should be considered necessary, basic equipment for any system using lead-acid batteries.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
03/19/2006 8:23 AM Pacific Time

What do the Hydrocaps look like? Did you say they have temperature indicator?
How tall are they?

It certainly sounds like a good idea. I'm not so worried about hydrogen explosions (has anyone on the list ever seen/experienced one?) but I have seen a lot of otherwise good batteries ruined from losing so much water that the plates went dry. Most of us just don't check the water in or batteries very often.

Electrical
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Electrical / Battery decisions