Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Barrier Coat or not?

Author Barrier Coat or not?
Mike
Sterling, VA

Boat Name: Sick Days

Model/Year: Cat 22 1993

Hull No. 15288

Hailing Port: Alexandria, VA
01/29/2004 5:30 AM Pacific Time

I need to have the bottom done on my boat this year. It has been painted but does not to ever have had a barrier coat applied. After pressure washing this year it does not look like there are any blisters.

The boat is in fresh water 6 months out of the year, although we are considering keeping it in the bay for a few months this year.

I am wondering if I should go through the expense of a barrier coat or just bottom paint? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Philip L .KWASINSKI
Chicago Illinois

Boat Name: O Wa Diddy

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10523

Hailing Port: Chicago
01/30/2004 3:55 AM Pacific Time

I would say barrier coat why not? If your boat was only trailered, not left in the water, I would say its debatable. But since you are in 6 mo a year like myself you should barrier coat.
Barrier coat ensures no water into fiber glass infiltration and all the maladies that come with it. So go the extra few days it takes to strip the hull clean and put it on, watch the instructions drying and recoating times are important for proper adhesion/effectiveness.
PS I did mine last year and I always had a little water where the batteries are below the cabin step-not a drop this season. Philip "Do Wa Diddy" Chicago
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
01/30/2004 6:37 AM Pacific Time

After buying invisible water logged hull I have to say go with the barrier coat. My boat had been on a dealers yard on a trailer & dried out with no apparent blisters. After a few months in the water & a few leaks, I pulled her only to find blisters & micro cracks. The antifouling paint had concealed the problems lurking underneath.

I never knew that water intrusion on gel coats is a problem, the warmer climates, and the greater the absorption problem apparently. I looked for the chart on water absorption and did not find it, http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier1/home.htm. However, the concept is enlightening for us people that thought only wood & steel were problems on water.

Rule of thumb would be,

Trailer Sail – just wash & wax
Weekending Anchoring – just wash & wax
Slipping for less than a month - Antifouling only
Cold water slipping – might be ok to go longer without barrier coating
Long term slipping – Barrier coat & antifouling

If you have blisters & are trailer sailors ignore all of the above & go sailing be happy.

Water intrusion and blisters are only problems in slipped waterlogged boats. It seem I recall some boats have an additional 200 – 400 pound of water due to intrusion. 24 gallons of water seems like a lot. (#200/8.33 fresh water #/gallon = 24 gallons) Salt might weigh as much as #9/gallon or 22 gallons intrusion. If you are drying out 6 months a year the water intrusion has to be less than these extreme examples written by the sales staff of West Systems & Interlux.

ZERO leaks after the bottom barrier job is the good news & one fast boat.

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/30/2004 10:25 AM Pacific Time

Guys, let me join your conversation,
how do I know if the previous owner(s) apply the barrier coat already?
Also, how often the barrier coating should be reapplied?
Thanks.
-Art

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Barrier Coat or not?