Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Getting the Foam Out?

Author Getting the Foam Out?
Jeff Trask
Indialantic Florida

Boat Name: Blue Yonder

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6024

Hailing Port: Telemar Bay Marina
03/21/2006 10:40 AM Pacific Time

My 1976 C-22 came with the safety floatation foam sprayed inside it. I have worked long, hot, sweaty hours removing a large amount of it with a carpet knife and various other cutting/scrapping utensils. It really sucked.

However, I still have work to do. Mostly under the cockpit floor and the Starboard lazeret storage area. Now, I am not a big man, but I'm not a small one either. Getting to this foam is a nightmare, not to mention it provides perfect habitat for all manner of God's less charming creatures. It also keeps the boat constantly smelling dank and moist.

If you have ever removed the stuff, how did you do it? Is there a better method? I really want this stuff gone.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/22/2006 4:53 AM Pacific Time

I wonder if chucking up a coarse rat-tailed file in a drill motor would give you a longer tool to work with. I have some Sure-Form files, one is 1/2" or so round that might work on foam to cut bigger chunks.
For what it's worth,
Al Ge
David F.
Abilene, TX

Boat Name: Clair de Lune

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 6140

Hailing Port: Fort Phantom Lake
03/22/2006 5:53 AM Pacific Time

My '76 #6140 is foam-filled also. The whole bow compartments, and under the starboard lazrette and under the cockpit floor. I have'nt found all the spots rainwater gets in and it seems like the foam is soaking up the water and slowly releasing it.

Was this an "option" or an DPO "enhancement"?

David
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
03/22/2006 2:04 PM Pacific Time

My 1973 S/K #2431 Sailynn also has this, but just in the bow area. I believe I read on the internet that it was standard for the factory to fill the compartments with foam on the very early models. I think someone may have already removed some from my compartments becasuse I saw remnants. A household electric carving knife is suppose to be good for cutting foam and has a long blade. I'm going to try it as soon as the two feet of snow melts around my boat. Last year I tried a chisel and that was too slow.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
03/23/2006 4:00 AM Pacific Time

Jeff - Please contact me offline at romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net. I have an unrelated question for you.

Ryan Graham
Douglasville, Ga.

Boat Name: Luana Cordelia

Model/Year: C22 1978

Hull No. 8587

Hailing Port: Douglasville, Ga (on the hard)
01/23/2010 9:33 AM Pacific Time

Hey guys, I have done alittle fiberglass work in the past. When I did the projects we would creat the part we wanted out of foam and mold the fiberglass around it. When the part was hard we would pour MEK (methal ethel keytone) on the foam and it would eat it really fast.

Now with that info I will warn you... Wear glasses and gloves. I would also highly recomend that you wear a resparator (cartrage type not paper). This stuff is nasty, not like acid but it can overcome you very fast making you pass out. Also, ventelate the boat well. And, if you use a fan, use it to push fresh air in the boat and not to suck out the, now, highly flamable air... Also use a scrapper, bucket, hand type tools to remove the sludge, so no shop vac!!!

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Getting the Foam Out?