Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / how to remove the wood piece along the bottom of the hatchway?

Author how to remove the wood piece along the bottom of the hatchway?
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/26/2006 7:59 PM Pacific Time

I just bought a 1988 Catalina 22 and am in the process of restoring her. I've managed to remove all the wood trim so save for one piece - the wood 'step' at the base of the hatchway. My plan is to sand, bleach, and treat each piece with Cetol.

There aren't any obvious screws keeping it attached - but there is a series of wood plugs, which may actually be covering the screws.

Does anyone know how to/have advice on how to detach this piece? Worst case, I could restore it in place, but I'd rather remove it first.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
03/26/2006 11:56 PM Pacific Time

If you take a screw and drive it into the wood plug you will destroy it, but it comes out and leaves a clean hole. You can then access the screws and replace the plug when you put it back.
Al Ge
Charlie Rice
Santa Cruz, California

Boat Name: Carol Anne

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. 14097

Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, California
03/27/2006 6:07 AM Pacific Time

Bill, Not only are there 3 vertical holes on the top, but 5 horizontally from the side.
Steven Keplinger
Severna Park MD 21146

Boat Name: Nifty

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. CTYH7999M78B

Hailing Port: Round Bay
03/27/2006 7:57 AM Pacific Time

If you reuse any of the existing trim, after removing the wooden plugs, you may need to resize the existing plug hole; the old one can get bunged up in the business of restoration.

The way to do this, is to glue in a temporary plug the same size as the old hole, before reinstallation, using a glue gun or some other fast drying cement. Then find the next size larger plug-cutter and matching drill. Center punch the temporarily glued-in plug and redrill with the next larger size. Use a drill press if available; or one of the "porta-align" type guides (try Sears) for hand drills. Make a bunch of new plugs with the matching plug cutter and you'll have a factory installation. Cut the new plugs from the same sort of wood, and align the grain of the plugs with the grain of the trim.

Sounds complicated, but it only takes a couple of extra minutes. Plus, you may wind up with a new toy or two.

Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
03/27/2006 9:17 AM Pacific Time

Thanks guys, for all the excellent advice!

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / how to remove the wood piece along the bottom of the hatchway?