Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / need advice on cleats for halyards and jib sheets

Author need advice on cleats for halyards and jib sheets
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/07/2006 11:28 PM Pacific Time

I apologize if this is a silly/naive question, but I'm in the process of refitting/upgrading a 1988 and I need advice.

The boat had jam cleats for both the jib and main halyards, as well as the jib sheets. My plan is to replace these with cam cleats like the Harken 150.

First question: Assuming I put a cam cleat aft of each jib sheet winch, would folks recommend elevating it by putting it on a base and/or use an integrated fairlead?

Second question: Assuming I put a cam cleat on top of the deck aft of each halyard winch, would these cam cleats benefit from an integrated fairlead? Can I assume that I don't need to worry about the downhaul as far as cleating it off?

Anyways, any advice on how to set up the cleats as well as suggestions on what type (brand/model) to use would be greatly appreciated. The more explicit, the better. :-)
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/09/2006 9:13 AM Pacific Time

Hi Bill - It is not clear whether you plan to run the halyards to the cockpit and whether you already have cabin top winches. You could simply move the jam cleats to the cabin top. Just make sure the v end of the jam cleat faces forward. You can "sweat" the halyards up by looping the halyard around the round end of the cleat and grasp the halyard between the cleat and the deck organizer and pull it up while pulling in on the end of the halyard.

If you can afford them, I recommend rope clutches (not power cleats) for your halyards. They are easier to release and can be used forward of the winch to free up the winch for other purposes. If you still want to use cam cleats, make sure they are mounted far enough forward of the cabin bulkhead to insure the mounting screws don't go down into the bulkhead.

For the sheet cam cleats, elevate the cam cleat, but do not use an integrated fair lead. Using a fairlead witl restrict the upward movement of the sheet necessary to clear the winch when tacking or gybing. I think that clam cleats are better than cam cleats.. They are easier to set (simply lay the sheet into it) and about as easy to release. Plus they are a lot kinder to the sheet.

Second question: Assuming I put a cam cleat on top of the deck aft of each halyard winch, would these cam cleats benefit from an integrated fairlead? Can I assume that I don't need to worry about the downhaul as far as cleating it off?

Do not use an integrated fairlead on the halyard cleats for the same reason as above. By all means cleat the downhaul. It helps tension the luff of the mainsail. On my boats, I always have used an aluminum mast slug with a screw and finishing washer in it to hold up the gooseneck. However, the gooseneck is still held down with a cleated downhaul. The mainsail luff tension is then adjusted with the main halyard or a main cunningham.

As far as specific recommendations are concerned, use Spinlock XAS or Lewmar Superlock D1 power clutches sized to fit your halyards. Use Ronstan Vertical (1/4 to 1/2 inch) clamcleats.

Hope that helps.
Bill Kraus
Bainbridge Island, WA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/09/2006 9:29 AM Pacific Time

Thanks, Dick - for your advice and patience for a newbie C-22 owner. :-)

Yes, there are already cabin top winches, and there is a jam cleat installed on the cabin top aft of each winch. From your reply, I'm gathering you are recommending installing a rope cleat forward of the cabin top winch and keeping the jam cleat for the downhaul. Correct?

And for the jib sheets, you are recommending replacing the jam cleat that sits aft of the jib sheet winch with a clam cleat, not a cam cleat.

Sorry for needing things spelled out, but you know the adage - 'measure twice, cut once' :-) In the last few weeks, I've managed to replace the plumbing and thru hulls, rewire the mast and lighting, rebuild the winches, and replace the old non-functioning instruments. It's been a fun learning experience (and lots of work).
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
04/12/2006 7:47 PM Pacific Time

Bill:

One thing you gotta remember with winches are that they all turn the same way, i.e., clockwise to tighten.

So what does this mean? Well, for the jib sheet winches on the coaming around the cockpit the cleats will need to be positioned aft of the winch on the starboard side but forward of the winch on the port side. This is so that the number of turns taken on each winch will be uniform from one side to the next. This helps quick use of the winches.

For the winches on the cabin top, the cleats can be positioned identically form one side to the other. Ideally on the cabin top, one should use rope clutches ahead of the winches as one can lock these but still pull the line to tighten on the winch. After getting the right tension, one can throw the lines off the winches permitting one to use the winches for the jib sheets if one wants to keep their crew to weather to maintain an even keel.
Stefan Damstrom

Boat Name: Delfina sold!

Model/Year: C22mK2 / 1987

Hull No. 14306 sold :-(

Hailing Port:
04/13/2006 11:33 AM Pacific Time

For what it's worth, I installed Spinlock XAS 6-2mm rope clutchs (3's on each side forward of the housetop winch) and really enjoy not having the cleats and jams on trip on and foul things like spinnaker sheets, etc etc. I found these new on eBay for about $75 each and it took an hour to drill, install and seal both. No regrets...happy to send a pic of the layout.
Paul Moore
Tucker, Georgia

Boat Name: Me Too

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Atlanta, GA
06/30/2006 11:28 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone used the Spinlock Mini-Jammers? Sort of a hybrid b/w a cam-cleat and a clutch. Advertised to have a SWL almost as great as the small XAS clutch, but costs about half the price - around $45.00 for a double. I was considering them for my halyards. I'd love to hear any experiences with them first though. Thanks.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/01/2006 5:42 AM Pacific Time

Hello Paul,

I have no personal experience with them yet, but I will be adding them to Crocus. For want it is worth, the C22NSA's top two sailors from the 2006 National Regatta both used Harken 150 cam-cleats for the halyards, so the Spinlock mini jammer should be fine.

Dale
M L
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: Capri 22

Model/Year: 2003

Hull No. 1002

Hailing Port:
07/03/2006 9:06 AM Pacific Time

Hello

For the same price $45 you can get a unit from Garhauer Marine. They are a Catalina Supplier/Mfg. I have one of their units and like it MUCH better than the XAS units that came on the boat.

Mike
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/04/2006 9:38 PM Pacific Time

Bill, here in Nevada City at Scotts Flat Lake we have several C22's in dry storage in the parking lot. If you ever get this way, stop by and check out the rigging.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / need advice on cleats for halyards and jib sheets