Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Old Fuel

Author Old Fuel
Kevin Murphy
Carmichael, CA

Boat Name: Booyah!

Model/Year: 1973 Catalina 22

Hull No. #2526

Hailing Port: Carmichael, CA
04/20/2006 9:49 PM Pacific Time

When is old fuel old? I have a 6 gallon tank on board Booyah! and use high quality fuel and oil in my Evinrude 7.5hp 2-stroke outboard but I have been fortunate to have an end tie in the marina so I usually sail away from the dock and come back and dock under sail as well. It seems the only time I start up the engine is when I need a break from sailing and want to make sure the engine still works.

At the end of last season I probably still had about five gallons in the tank when Booyah! went on the hard so I added some "stabilizer." When should I replace what's in the tank?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/21/2006 6:13 AM Pacific Time

I was told once to smell the gas. If it smells bad, not like normal gas, it is time to get rid of it. However, I would replace the five gallon tank with two three gallon plastic tanks. They are easier to handle. If you are going day sailing, only use one of them. Use something like Stabil in both tanks. At the end of the season, get rid of the gas and start over at the beginning of the season with fresh gas.

Chevron has a good article on storage of gas. http://tinyurl.com/o56o7
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/22/2006 8:49 PM Pacific Time

I've also been told when it smells like varnish instead of gas. Adding stabilizer is good. I don't use much gas either. At the end of the season I take the gas and put it in my car gas tank. Then I start out the season with two gallons in a three gallon tank. If I need more, I bring a one gallon can from home and top off the tank. Marina gas is very expensive at our lake.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Old Fuel