Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast head

Author Mast head
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
04/27/2006 7:50 AM Pacific Time

Has anyone ever had a mast head fail on a C22? I have a 1982. I have carefully examined the mast head with a magnifying glass and it appears to be just fine; no cracks, scratches, corrosion, etc.

I just finished replacing the chainplates, reinforcing the bow eye, refinforcing the back stay eyes and replacing all the stays turnbuckles, and clevis pins (I replaced the clevis pins on the mast head attached to the fore and backstay).

In anyone's opinion, am I leaving a weak link in the old mast head? Could it break from old age?
William Bell
Pt. Orange, FL

Boat Name: Phoenix

Model/Year: 1987 Catalina 22

Hull No. #13784

Hailing Port: Pt. Orange,FL
04/28/2006 5:03 AM Pacific Time

Don't worry about it. There are a lot of older mast heads out there and very few failures. They usually fail after people drill holes and such for mounting mast head stuff.

Bill
87 sk #13784
Phoenix
FL
Paul McLaughlin
Walnut Creek, CA

Boat Name: Tiare

Model/Year: C22 Swing keel, 1982

Hull No. 10890

Hailing Port: SF Bay
04/28/2006 12:10 PM Pacific Time

Good to know. There's no "aftermarket" holes drilled in my masthead so I'll consider myself free from anxiety. Thanks, Bill.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/28/2006 3:12 PM Pacific Time

My 86 c22 had cracks in the mast head. I found them before I launched the boat for the first time. I am sure glad I found them, because this would have been a major accident waiting to happen. I found the cracks when I was replacing all the standing rigging. Boy was I glad to find them. And, I was able to purchase the new masthead from CD. This is a major reason I purchased the c22. Direct Replacement parts are easy to get.

The cracks were on the fore end of the casting, where the forestay connects. The previous owner connected the forestay to the outermost hole in the masthead casting. Too much force out on the end is my guess. I believe the outermost hole is for a spinnaker.

Butchie
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
04/28/2006 6:29 PM Pacific Time

You didn't mention your spreader brackets. Be sure to check them.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / Mast head